'72 Twister RestoMod...Am I Crazy or ???

-

Pearsefitz17

Reaction score
I am the new owner of 1972 Duster Twister. 27K original miles and all original, except it appears that it has the '71 Sharkstooth grille and the dual scoops from (I think) from the '71 360 model. It runs GREAT and rides (and squeaks) just like you'd expect a 43 year old car to. I believe that the former owner had won many awards for it as it sits and drove it weekly to work and such. As I have the time and funds to allow me, I want to do a RestoMod project to it. I plan on doing all work myself and am planning on a (3) year time frame to complete, but will be driving it throughout and between major work segments. I'd like to hear from y'all if you think this is a bad idea as this is a VERY nice ride as it sits now. I'll add that this particular year, model, color, etc. has some sentimental value as the wife bought one of these new and I made her sell it in '76 after I put in the 2nd tranny and we didn't have two nickels to our name back then.
So...my plans...
I found a 360 CID/400HP crate motor (new) to drop in and will add a 100HP NO boost kit, high stall converter and replace U-joints and such to make sure it'll handle this new power. Still researching what my trans gearing is (automatic) and rear end gears, but the plan is to just refresh the tranny, make sure it has the SureGrip rear end, then select the right rear end gearing once I see how it runs. Next I'm going to purchase a complete suspension kit and replace it 100% to get it handling more to current standards. Additionally, I will weld in a complete chassis stiffener kit (this will be probably the only work I'll farm out as I am not a welder, but I'll do all the prep work). Add (4) wheel power disks (13" front, 11" rear)... Already has PB, just not disks. Finish off the rolling work with period correct Aluminum billet wheels and Street/Strip tires, of which I need much more research to select the correct diameter, profile and widths...again, some calculations and road testing with expert advise to make the right purchase. I do NOT want to carve out and have to add larger wheel wells, am hoping I can get the right tires/wheels to get this new power to the ground without having to modify the stock ones. Optional (again based on performance once the drive train is complete and trailed), consider a larger aluminum radiator and transmission cooler. QUESTION: Can I get a recommendation on the transmission? Since I'll be driving it weekly...maybe 150 miles a month and be doing rally's, timed cone racing and the occasional trip to the strip...what's the thinking on the transmission? Looking for some input here.
INTERIOR: While the current interior (buckets, console, floor shift) is in great and original shape, I'd like to upgrade and possibly customize...with it looking NEW. Thinking about keeping the dash, headliner (perfect now) and console untouched, but dropping in racing seats color matched to rear seats and exterior body paint...maybe black leather with red inserts in the center of all seats? Just new black carper and match the door panels to the seats...keep original hardware. Plan on adding race quality oil, temp, amps, vacuum and a second tach under dash. Top off with a race steering wheel, a mild (very!) window tint ( has factory A/C and the South Carolina sun is a *#@$ in July and August), and wrap it up with a great sound system.
So all the major stuff is mentioned and I've set a budget of $30K, of which ~1/3 is already spent on the base car. Please hit me with comments, concerns, tips, advice, criticisms...bring it as I want to get this right and have a car I can cruise, take to the strip occasionally, do some time trials and it is rattle free(er), handles sweet and when the urge hits...I can jump on it and get an adrenalin rush. Thanks for reading...(when I begin, I will cover the work with pictures and such to this site). Here's to an awesome 2015!!!

-
Back