727 BB vs. SB cases

-

middleagecrisis

Reaction score
I have a 727 that came attached to a 383 in a Duster race car that I purchased. The seller told me that Trans-King had built the trans in early 2000's and it had a reverse manual valve body. I have video of the car going into 1st and reverse on jackstands, so I know it works at that level. It also has a nice 9" converter with a balloon plate. I am having serious second thoughts about installing the 383 into my Duster and contemplating staying small block. Question: I have seen 727 SB cases on ebay for ~$200. Can the internals from the BB 727 be transplanted into the SB case, and if so, how hard would this be to do? Thanks!

I have a 727 that came attached to a 383 in a Duster race car that I purchased. The seller told me that Trans-King had built the trans in early 2000's and it had a reverse manual valve body. I have video of the car going into 1st and reverse on jackstands, so I know it works at that level. It also has a nice 9" converter with a balloon plate. I am having serious second thoughts about installing the 383 into my Duster and contemplating staying small block. Question: I have seen 727 SB cases on ebay for ~$200. Can the internals from the BB 727 be transplanted into the SB case, and if so, how hard would this be to do? Thanks!
internals are the same.. basically the bellhousing bolt pattern is different (thanks mopar!) how easy? depends on the person.. after you do one you will be able to do it in a hour.. just details and paying attention. there are a couple of books about how to build a 727 that are worth buying..

Also.. go on facebook marketplace you get can 727s from $100-300 all day without dealing with ebay...

BTW! That being said. put that damn 383 in the car! a big block a-body..... come on..

internals are the same.. basically the bellhousing bolt pattern is different (thanks mopar!) how easy? depends on the person.. after you do one you will be able to do it in a hour.. just details and paying attention. there are a couple of books about how to build a 727 that are worth buying..

Also.. go on facebook marketplace you get can 727s from $100-300 all day without dealing with ebay...

BTW! That being said. put that damn 383 in the car! a big block a-body..... come on..
I know. The 383 I have is no slouch, either. I keep seeing on this forum everyone saying they'd never do it again. Once I cut the K-member for the conversion mounts, I'm committed to a big-block.

Last edited:
I know. The 383 I have is no slouch, either. I keep seeing on this forum everyone saying they'd never do it again. Once I cut the K-member for the conversion mounts, I'm committed to a big-block.
Go with an early K member and Schumacher conversion mounts then.

I went with a front engine plate. Makes it all super easy and no cutting the K member.

If you have a small block K member all you need to do is cut the front half of the motor mount Tower off so the oil pump clears. You could technically weld all that crap back on that you cut off

Yes, you can swap the guts from one to the other, I did just the opposite of what you are doing and ran the transmission for 3 seasons before going to a 904 behind my 408, now 416.

-
Back