727 been sitting.

-

swifty

Reaction score
I have a 1972 swinger with 727. Car had a 340 which is no longer usable, putting in a 360. I have never driven car so I have no idea of condition of transmission. The guy I bought it from never drove it either. The car has been sitting at least 4 years. I have two 360's, one I'm rebuilding for when the car is done and another that runs but has 120k on it. My question is what to do to trans? I thought about putting the running 360 in and testing car out until I can start rebuild, I am working on a 49 Chevy project now. Should I do something to trans before testing? Or am I better off pulling trans and rebuilding it? I also don't know mileage on trans because car was originally slant 6. Just wondering if running trans could hurt it after sitting, or knowing condition. Thanks.

If it's been sitting in a clean dry place then just sitting there shouldn't bother it. You might want to pull the pan off & take a look inside to be sure & see if there are any signs of damage, rust, bugs, mice(you'd be surprised) and of course any metal debris. If you trust the history of it & all looks good, run it & see how it is. Throw a new filter & pan gasket on it while you're in there too.

Mine sat for 7 years before I got it. Be prepared for some leaks after sitting!! Mine works great, but dropping the pan and putting new gaskets and seals is a good idea.

I think I will pull the pan and check fluid. Is any fluid better than others, and what type? I have never changed seals on a transmission, is there any pointer to it, or links? Sorry for all the questions but I am really in the dark when it comes to transmissions. Thanks.

I would change the filter, front pump seal and fluid. Use the Dextron/Mercon 3 fluid. that is what was recommended for my 727 by the tranny shop that rebuilt mine.

change the front and back seals, they have tools for this at your neighborhood auto parts store. like said before new filter kit and use type "F" fliud, it's alot better than the stuff the shop recommended.

Yes type F! Back in the day when we used to buy the TRICK tranny fluid from B&M for out mopar trannies we were buying type f. It works great in mopar trannsmissions. Don't knock it until you try it.

-
Back