727 question

-

73-340

Reaction score
i have a 727 out of a 4x4 truck that is good, and one out of a car that is bad. could an average person swap tail shafts on these without taking the trannys completely apart?

are you talking about the input shaft? if you are then that means yes to my question, right?

I just did this change-over last summer. You'll need a passenger car 727 for a donor. The truck 727 internals are pretty much the same as a passenger car 727's, with the exception of the planetary gear sets (4 pinion vs 3 pinion). The 4 pinion is supposed to be able to handle a little more power.

i have never had tranny apart other than the valve body to do a shift kit . so could a person with minimal knowledge do this swap?

You will have to completely disassemble the trans cause the output shaft comes out from the front but Torqueflites are super easy to work on so it's not a hard job. I do recommend you getting a good book. What year transmissions are you dealing with? In 76 they changed the spline angle on the output shafts so you need to match up parts very carefully i.e. using the correct rear planetary for the corresponding output shaft. Please note the change is so minimal you can't tell it by looking at it.

To me it sounds like rebuilding the car transmission is really your best bet since the amount of work is basically the same.

-
Back