727 rebuild stock/hp street

-

bcuda1$3$

Reaction score
1969 barracuda stock and tired 318/727 combo. Getting prepared to order a rebuild kit, probably some Cope racing transmissions. My dilemma is I’m not making a lot of power and don’t plan on really hyping the engine up.

I’m getting conflicting info on what clutch discs. One camp says stock discs give low parasitic loss through the trans. While the flip side of coin says with performance clutch discs you get available power to ground with less slip.

Obviously stock is smooth and street hp probably not as smooth and all out race harsh. I get that. I just have a low horsepower motor, pushing through a large transmission and don’t wanna lose any more power, I want the motors available power to get to the ground the easiest.

IMG_0172.jpeg

There are plenty of good rebuild kits on the internet.
I would buy a HP kit with the good Red clutches. I just
bought one last week for $160.
I do not think that the drag will be an issue that you will EVER
notice in your application at all.

In what we do where thousands of a second are crucial
(I won a Class race by one ten thousands of a second before),
we put small pieces of rubber seal between each of the clutches
to reduce drag. Not a street modification but for Stock/Superstock
application.

Just my .02 = For Free!

Where did Chrysler use stock components in their 727's ? Lets see, behind Hemi's, 440's, 383's, 340's, Max Wedges, plus a variety of ambulance/police/ truck applications. So my way of thinking for soft parts, would be to get a stock master kit, with Raybestos waffle lined friction plates, steel plates, both bands, a bushing kit, maybe a washer kit, filter, and the rear clutch return spring. And maybe the Transco small SKTF shift kit. There is nothing wrong with ordering a performance kit from Cope or others, if it is needed, but from your post what I've listed should be more than adequate. You may find other items you need once it's apart. Check and see if there is a Transtar warehouse nearby. Their main business is supplying transmission parts to transmission shops.

I rebuilt mine to run behind a mildly built 340. I was having the same dilemma as you are now. In the end, after much input from other members here who's opinions I respect, I did exactly what @transman suggests.

I did upgrade to a 4 disc clutch drum, a 3.8 band apply lever, upgraded bellville spring and went from 9 to 12 clutch springs.......And a Transgo-1.

We'll see how she works.....Good luck.

I always put in a bolt in sprag. Not necessary but I like doing that with the oil mod to ensure the sprag gets enough oil. A standard cheap but quality trans star kit comes with everything needed. Race applications or higher HP above 375hp you could upgrade to the Kolene steels and alto frictions. I usually put 9 or 12 springs in. With a 3.8 to 4.2 lever. When you up the line pressure with a shift kit get you and upgraded HD spring retainer for the rear kick down. Blocker rod and spring removed on the accumulator for firm shifts.

I recommend Tom Hands book. It makes it simple stupid for us simpletons and has pictures.

He was cool enough to sign mine he’s also a member here. @VOETOM
IMG_4785.jpeg
IMG_4786.jpeg

Agree on the basic kit, as 727’s are tough in a basically stock V8 car.
Then you can spend the saved cash on some sort of treat, like a new steering wheel or whatever.

Where did Chrysler use stock components in their 727's ? Let’s see, behind Hemi's, 440's, 383's, 340's, Max Wedges, plus a variety of ambulance/police/ truck applications. So my way of thinking for soft parts, would be to get a stock master kit, with Raybestos waffle lined friction plates, steel plates, both bands, a bushing kit, maybe a washer kit, filter, and the rear clutch return spring. And maybe the Transco small SKTF shift kit. There is nothing wrong with ordering a performance kit from Cope or others, if it is needed, but from your post what I've listed should be more than adequate. You may find other items you need once it's apart. Check and see if there is a Transtar warehouse nearby. Their main business is supplying transmission parts to transmission
There are plenty of good rebuild kits on the internet.
I would buy a HP kit with the good Red clutches. I just
bought one last week for $160.
I do not think that the drag will be an issue that you will EVER
notice in your application at all.

In what we do where thousands of a second are crucial
(I won a Class race by one ten thousands of a second before),
we put small pieces of rubber seal between each of the clutches
to reduce drag. Not a street modification but for Stock/Superstock
application.

Just my .02 = For Free!
mind to share which one you purchased with me? Thanks

-