727 shifting in drag race??

-
We finally got the Scamp to the dragstrip. 2 of my sons raced it. 6 runs total and we finally broke into the 11 seconds with a 11.727 and 11.710 runs. The runs were very close by each son. The older son won by a tenth of a second. That was our mission. Get into 11 seconds but not 11.49.

View attachment 1716150990
1973 scamp race in Spokane

I think I'll have to come out to Spokane next season if I can get my car finished (as in pass tech) not pretty lol.

Nice! probably the best it's going to get, et and mph are pretty close. maybe a couple tenths more
Yea, I don't plan much for next year as far as changes. I will get some new drag radials or drag slicks, in 275/60-15 instead of the 255/60-15s to fill out the rear wells. The engine and chassis are close to ideal for how it was originally designed, but the cam was designed with nitrous in mind so not ideal. Since I am just slower than Roll cage speed, I will keep it as is. It is fast enough for me though my sons want more. Nitrous would be easy to do with the Holley Super Sniper EFI ready to control it, but then all the safety requirements would come into play.

1. When doing a burnout or actual pass, never let off the gas in 1st gear! You will destroy the overrunning clutch (sprag). You will have to start your burnout in 1st since you don't have a manual valve body, but get into 2nd and 3rd as quickly as you can and do the majority of the burnout in 3rd gear. Don't overrev. 5000rpm in 3rd gear is plenty.
2. Don't burnout in the water. Roll the back tires through the water and then do the burnout. Technique will differ depending on whether you are using a line lock, type of tire, track conditions, etc.
3. Don't downshift after the pass. Let the motor rev down as you apply the brakes.
4. You can start at 5800 rpm as a reference point, then try different rpm both higher and lower to see what the motor/gearing combo likes the best. Above all, have fun!!
Thanks for the information. What would be different with manual valve body?

Thanks for the information. What would be different with manual valve body?
With the manual valve body you can start your burnout in 2nd gear which will keep you away from the sprag and give you a higher rpm at the tires without over revving the motor.

With the manual valve body you can start your burnout in 2nd gear which will keep you away from the sprag and give you a higher rpm at the tires without over revving the motor.
doesn't a normal auto start in second if you are in second?

Thanks. I'm planning to visit the track for the first time this summer and would rather not damage anything.

With a RMVB you have full pressure shifts every time. Rolling along at idle and shift….bang….

-
Back