727 Small Block Torqueflite Convertor

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Hi all,where can I find a Torque Convertor for my 727 SB TF?It is going on a 360 and I know they are externally balanced engines.I dont need a HP high stall racing one.A stock one will do and a source where I can find one.Thanks

I just picked my stall converter up through summitracing.com through TCI.

Jegs also has a good bit of converters.

They had a bigger and cheaper 727 selection than they did for my 904 so you should have no problem finding one!

Look in your local yellow pages. You should have a transmission parts wholesaler if somewhere near you.

wow,thanks everyone for the fast replies!I forgot to mention,it is a 1977 727 transmission,not sure how to tell if its a non-lockup or a lock up.The non -lock ups have 24 spline input shaft,right?This is the shaft the convertor goes on?

you can tell the difference between a lock up and non lock up by this.

if it is a lock up transmission the splines on the input shaft will not go all the way down the shaft....the end of the shaft will have like 1" area of machined smooth shaft showing.

a non lock up transmission the splines will go all the way down the shaft.

I am not a 727 expert so i can't say how many splines you will have.

let me do some research for you real quick and I will tell you what I find!

Here are some TQ options for you http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ype/Torqueflite-727/?keyword=torque+converter

without knowing if its lock up or non lock up and how many splines though it is hard to narrow the search down.

plus will need to know if its going on an internally balanced engine or an externally balanced engine?

are you looking for a stall or stock? whats your price ranger?

what flex plate do you have? 10" or 11 1/8"? 5/16" converter bolt holes? 7/16" converter bolt holes? 3/8" converter bolt holes?

all of these things come into play when getting a converter.

I picked up a tci 2400 stall converter for my 904 and I had the wrong flex plate and had to get a different one.

I have a 727 flex plate though if you need one?

ok,I checked and it is a non-lock up 727.The flex plate,im not too sure and I called a guy at my local AAMCO and told me the stock TC is 2500 RPM stall.The thing is too is he said the TC he has doesnt have weights on it.I thought they did since the 360s are externally balanced.I want to get this right the first time because I dont want to have to tear out the tranny again due to a wrong TC.Ill check on the flex plate.

P4876821.gif
this is what my flex plate currently on the engine looks like if this helps.

My advice - buy yourself a B&M flexplate for a 360 - it is machined to make up the weight for an externally balanced 360, so you can run any non weighted converter behind it. I believe it also has two sets of mounting holes for the converter depending on which converter you run. Note that most aftermarket / rebuilt converters are balanced and will have some small weight(s) on them - do not confuse this with the large weights for an externally balanced engine. If you use this flexplate you want a zero balance converter.

http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/10236/10002/-1

David

Torque Converter: Torqueflite 727
B&M Holeshot 2400 2300-2500 RPM Stall
Part# BMM-10425 $298.25

B&M Flexplate: 360 with 727 torqueflite,external balanced.
PART# BMM-10236 $76.75

Prices from Summit.
Bolt them on and go.............................

what you have there is a 904 flex plate....I know because I just went through all this crap LOL....the 727 plate has round holes where as the 904 has triangular'ish holes.

I have a 727 flex plate I will sell you for a hole lot cheaper than you can pick up a new one for....if you want it PM me and let me know.

I have a for sale thread up and the flex plate is pictured in the thread if you want to check it out.

as for converter.....stock stall speed is less than 2500 rpm....considering a 1700 stall converter is a bump up over stock....not by a hole lot but it is higher than stock...according to TCI,stock stall is about 1200 rpm for a small block.

do your research and shop around on a good priced converter, hughes has some decently priced converters and TCI does aswell ( I picked mine up for just under $250.00 shipped.

The most commonly used converters I see guys snatching up are 2500-3500 stall converters.... but if you just want a smidge more than stock than look at 1700-2000 stalls.

also you want to take into consideration things like what gear ratio you have,what cam you have and things like that.

TCI also sells the flex plate you need but they want a whopping $120.00 for it.

you can find cheap multi bolt pattern flex plates on ebay but......you never know what your getting on ebay and who knows if the thing will fall apart at 4500 rpm LOL.

wth,are you serious?Its a 904 flex plate?Ughh,more money I need to spend :banghead::banghead::banghead:eek:k,ill let you know about your flex plate.This is getting too complicated.Im just temped on just putting another /6 in it.I cant afford very much right now and just the motor and tranny drained me.

Here is the 727 flex plate I have......
DSCI1302.jpg
see the difference from the one you have now?.

If you decide you want it...let me know,$25.00 plus shipping and its yours

Oh,i see what you are saying.I was saying my flex plate resembles one like that in the picture.Sorry if I freaked out,lol.I did some research and saw the differences.The 904 flex plate has triangular holes,whereas the 727 one has circles.I will look at my motor tomorrow and take a pick of it because I really dont remember if the holes are circular or triangular.Again,nevermind me freaking,just getting frustrated,lol.By the way,the pic I posted I just pulled off the internet,I had no clue about the differences.thanks =)

HAHA...no big deal.

so you may still yet be in luck and have the one you need already!.

I know how stuff like that can make you edgy so I don't blame ya lol

ok,I checked and it is a non-lock up 727.The flex plate,im not too sure and I called a guy at my local AAMCO and told me the stock TC is 2500 RPM stall.The thing is too is he said the TC he has doesnt have weights on it.I thought they did since the 360s are externally balanced.I want to get this right the first time because I dont want to have to tear out the tranny again due to a wrong TC.Ill check on the flex plate.

If his converter has weights on it you don't want it cause it's not for a 360. Didn't you say you wanted a stock converter? If so check out the one on the website I provided. Only $98 for a converter that IS for a 360.

so now I need a flex plate AND a torque convertor?Good Lord this is going to get expensive.lol Thanks everyone

No you don't need a B&M flexplate. He was just suggesting it. The B&M flexplate, although more costly, isn't a bad idea because it takes the weighted converter out of the question and using it lets you use any non weighted converter you want so if in the future you want to put in a high stall converter you can do it easier and cheaper.

When your new at working on old cars they can be frustrating. Try and relax because I can absolutely guarantee you that this isn't the first problem your gonna have. If you own a 40 year old car and are trying to convert the engine, trans., rear, etc. to something other than stock you have to expect things like this sorry to say. Also remember old cars are not generally cheap to work on. If anybody told you they are they were wrong. I wish they were cheap to fix but they aren't.

Good luck and remember if you only want a stock converter $100 will buy you one from www.bulkpart.com

ok,i checked my flex plate and it is a 904 one.Some bone head notched the holes on it to hook a 727 on it.Sent you a PM Dusterdude.Thanks everyone for the advice and putting up with my ranting,im sure as this project goes on,there will be more ranting,lol

-
Back