727 torqueflite with reverse manual valve body

How does the transmission shift using a reverse manual vavle body?

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Torqueflite

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
-

Bailey Wilmoth

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Dodge Dart swinger with a fresh built 440 little more than 700hp with a 727 torqueflite transmission with a reverse manual vavle body play on the factory crystal era vavle body just really curious on how it actually shift the transmission internally? If you have any information and if I don’t get back with you on this page open to any info. Phone number removed by staff. You can exchange personal information in a personal message.

545801AD-3C2A-42B1-ACDF-81A7C6839FC1.jpeg

09EF6525-C866-446E-8DDC-E23907D9B15E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to have a shifter that lets you shift each gear as needed. you have to start out in first, and shift each gear as you accelerate. then down shift as needed.

If you are talking about how the shift is accomplished inside the trans, i have no clue. Im not a trans guy.
But any, and all shifts will have to be made by the driver. Reverse mvb, just means that first gear will now be found where D used to be, then second, and third (NOT drive!) will be where 1st was
The idea was so all shifts are away from neutral. You can use a stock shifter, but it probably wont work as well as one designed for a rmvb.
I have two cars with rmvb, one with a stock, but modified column shift, one that used to have a turbo action that i changed to a B&M ratchet shifter.

^^For example if you put the shifter in the original 1st position, that is THIRD and not "drive." The car will start out and stay in 3rd/ high gear until shifter is moved elsewhere.

If you are talking about how the shift is accomplished inside the trans, i have no clue. Im not a trans guy.
But any, and all shifts will have to be made by the driver. Reverse mvb, just means that first gear will now be found where D used to be, then second, and third (NOT drive!) will be where 1st was
The idea was so all shifts are away from neutral. You can use a stock shifter, but it probably wont work as well as one designed for a rmvb.
I have two cars with rmvb, one with a stock, but modified column shift, one that used to have a turbo action that i changed to a B&M ratchet shifter.
Almost mandatory to use an aftermarket ratchet type of shifter with a reverse manual valve body. It would be downright ugly to overshift into neutral by mistake during a temporary brain fog episode.

With reverse manual valve body you are shifting away from neutral....hence the word reverse

With reverse manual valve body you are shifting away from neutral....hence the word reverse
Yeah, after I posted that I saw what you are saying. I had converted my valve body using a B&M kit which maintained the original shift positions (not reverse). That is what I was referring to.

The turbo action shifter i used before i bought the B&M, ended up with a conversion plate to work with a forward pattern powerglide with a brake. It worked great in that application. I was brain dead enough occasionally to go from first to third when used with the 727. Changing it to the glide, and replacing it with a ratchet, worked great in both cars.

-
Back