727 Trans Fluid Capacity

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
A question,
When I go to fill up my 727 transmission,how many quarts should I buy and what type do you all recommend?And also,I know I need to fill the torque convertor,but how much fluid do I use?I dont want to overfill it it and have it blow up or something,lol.And when Im ready to connect the transmission to the block,how do you all do it?Do you connect the torque convertor to the flex plate on the engine first?Or put the torque convertor on the transmission first?Thanks

I would fill the convertor with about a quart of fluid and then a thin coating on the snout. Carefully slide it into the tranny making sure it is seated all the way. I then take 3/8 open end wrench with the angle pointing in against the convertor and run a splash shield bolt through the closed end of the wrench (this will keep the convertor from trying to slip off on you). Jack it up and get it as close to the block as you can and one side or top will probably be closer to the block than another so start a bolt there and SLOWLY pull it toward the block with the other bolts. I think my 727 completely empty took about 9 quarts to fill including the one in the convertor. I started my car for the first time in neutral so the convertor would fill the rest of the way.

You have to install the converter first then bolt it to the engine. Make absolutely sure you have the converter engaged all the way in (the flexplate lugs should be 3/8-1/2" below the face of the bellhousing) or you will ruin the front pump when you bolt it to the engine. You know you got it right when you bolt the trans to the engine and have to pull the converter forward a little to meet up with the flexplate. I put a qt. in the converter and 5 in the trans. then start it and run it through the gears (wheels off the ground) and fill it to full in neutral. Depending on which converter is used it takes approx. 8 to 9-1/2 qts. Standard Dexron is fine.

You have to install the converter first then bolt it to the engine. Make absolutely sure you have the converter engaged all the way in (the flexplate lugs should be 3/8-1/2" below the face of the bellhousing) or you will ruin the front pump when you bolt it to the engine...

Can someone explain why would I ruin the front pump if I bolt converter to flexplate first then hook it to the engine?

Regarding to fishy68, I have to install the converter first then bolt to the engine. I dont get this, if do it this way, how do you tight the 4 flexplate lug to the converter?

Can someone explain why would I ruin the front pump if I bolt converter to flexplate first then hook it to the engine?

Because there are 2 sets of splines and a set of lugs to align. There's no possible way you can align all 3 by first bolting it to the engine and trying to install it.

Regarding to fishy68, I have to install the converter first then bolt to the engine. I dont get this, if do it this way, how do you tight the 4 flexplate lug to the converter?

When you bolt the engine to the trans. you align 1 of the converter bolts and install it then rotate the engine over with a large ratchet or breaker bar until the next one comes into view, install that bolt and so forth. Note that they are not evenly spaced so before you install the flexplate on the engine hold it up to the converter and align the bolts and mark it so when you get the engine bolted up all you have to do is align your mark and bolt it up.

.Quote:
Because there are 2 sets of splines and a set of lugs to align. There's no possible way you can align all 3 by first bolting it to the engine and trying to install it.

I did it like this: engine on dolly(I'm gonna install engine from bottom) mount converter to engine. I then hook the trans to engine, I use the hoist to line up the trans with engine, by that time I turn the crank until the trans complete bolt in the engine, it work.

However after reading your post, I'm kind of worry about the alignment- center line of converter and center line if input shaft. What do you think, should I be okay with it?

I did it like this: engine on dolly(I'm gonna install engine from bottom) mount converter to engine. I then hook the trans to engine, I use the hoist to line up the trans with engine, by that time I turn the crank until the trans complete bolt in the engine, it work.

However after reading your post, I'm kind of worry about the alignment- center line of converter and center line if input shaft. What do you think, should I be okay with it?
No, that's a sure way to break the pump lugs, converter hub, seal, and/or bend the flex plate. Like what was mentioned, get the converter completely seated into the pump first, then bolt the assembly to the engine. Some converters are real hard to get seated anyway so trying to do it by turning the engine over would be a nightmare.

I wouldn't do it that way if you paid me. Like Mark said, those splines aren't the easiest thing to get aligned by just slipping the converter in the trans. by hand. Maybe 1 out of a million times you might get lucky enough to be able to do it your way, but I doubt the odds are better than that.

-
Back