73 340 4 speed Reverse. Lock out light on dash location needed.

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been discussed several times or many times of where the proper location should be on a dusfor the reverse lock out light on the -But i've only come up with vague answers. Does anyone have measurements for the proper location of the hole in the dash for the light thanks

Not sure how many more times you're going to ask the same question but here's a picture....
1722434982367.png

That's why I keep asking the questions. They are never answered correctly. I was asking for measurements of the mounting hole in the proper location. I've seen many pictures.

It's not a reverse lockout light it's just an indicator. If your car didn't come with one, and you're replacing an automatic with a 4 speed, the exact location within a 1/4 of an inch isn't going to matter. Just buy it and drill a hole.

I have several 4 spd dashes out I will get you measurements with pictures later today. I have seen them drilled at the wrong spot already and they were angled wrong. looked out of place.

From another thread, I used @4spdragtop 's measurements for mine, these are his pictures I just took them out of the quote so they wouldn't be collapsed. There are structures on the back side of the dash that also help with location. I believe they were all in the same place for A-bodies at least 67-76, although I don't think it was an option for all of those years

location for 1968 4 speed reverse light on dash
Heres pics and measurements. Been a while since I took it apart. I'm not 100% but mine is a vert so there is a "Top" switch/bezel mounted on dash also. But I'm pretty sure it's the hole to left of steering wheel for "Top" switch.
2nd pic shows location of "reverse" indicator.
Sorry for upside down tape measure lol.
Looks like 2 3/16" -2 1/4" from left edge of dash where ashtray fits in to center of hole.
Measuring from bottom of dash 3 3/16" to center of hole. See pics for measuring points.
Looks like a locating hole for pin also.
Hole is 3/4"

2 3/16" -2 1/4" from left edge of dash where ashtray fits in to center of hole.
Measuring from bottom of dash 3 3/16" to center of hole. See pics for measuring points.
Looks like a locating hole for pin also.
Hole is 3/4"

20210103_161556.jpg

20210103_161607.jpg

20210103_161656.jpg

20210103_161740.jpg

20210103_161843.jpg

20210103_162016.jpg

20210103_162029.jpg

It’s funny the length we go to to make it “correct” when the odds are you will never, ever be so close to another car that also has the reverse light under the dash and anyone is going to measure. We forget that 1/2 the people measuring will use yours as the correct spot even though they have no idea.
My 72’ has that light to tell me I’m in reverse. It’s silly. I don’t even know it is on because when I go into reverse I’m not looking down.

It’s cool to want it in the proper place.
I get it.

It’s funny the length we go to to make it “correct” when the odds are you will never, ever be so close to another car that also has the reverse light under the dash and anyone is going to measure. We forget that 1/2 the people measuring will use yours as the correct spot even though they have no idea.
My 72’ has that light to tell me I’m in reverse. It’s silly. I don’t even know it is on because when I go into reverse I’m not looking down.

It’s cool to want it in the proper place.
I get it.

I mean it’s actually a bit more complicated than that, you can’t just drill a hole anywhere. I wasn’t worried about it being in the perfectly stock location, pretty much nothing on my car is stock.

But if you take a look under the dash and where that light actually goes, you’ll see that there’s under structure you wouldn’t want to drill into, braces for things and attachments etc.

I’m sure that every reverse light isn’t in exactly the same place, but there is a “window” that you want to hit if you want to be able to get to it and not hit something that would prevent you from fully installing that light. So having some general measurements makes it a lot easier.

I didn’t run one when I had a 4 speed, never really too much of a question if the 833 was in reverse just because of the pattern and spacing. I did add it after I installed my T56, because 5th and reverse are right next to each other. It does have a lockout to keep you from shifting into reverse while moving more than a couple miles per hour, but that doesn’t help when you’re sitting still.

I used 4spddroptop's measurements described above to drill my reverse light hole. Better to ask, research, get help from others, then to drill in a less then ideal place and then what, weld it shut and try again? Nope, do some due diligence and drill the hole in the right place and be done with it.

PXL_20240414_145512542.jpg

This is a 71 Dash frame key in column. Hope this helps . Better copy it before a staff member removes it for being in the wrong forum.

100_0066.JPG

100_0068.JPG

100_0069.JPG

All the 70 to 73 I have look to be the same. Now the 67-68 I have are closer to the ashtray due to the ignition switch. I have 1970 1971 1972 1973 dashes here. I didn't measure them all because this one is in the shop for this original 4 spd demon right now so it was easy to make the diagram.

100_0046.JPG

100_0047.JPG

100_0048.JPG

100_0049.JPG

In response to your PM. I went out and grab some pictures of what I could get at They all look to be in the same place Dodge in 70-71 and Plymouth in 70-71 on the rally dash. The last pic is of a red 70 Duster I just brought in to finish stripping it. It was a 3 spd 340 and looks like someone hacked the reverse light in like a butcher.

100_0147.JPG

100_0148.JPG

100_0149.JPG

100_0150.JPG

100_0152.JPG

100_0153.JPG

I appreciate all your help.That's what I was finding out.The 70 and 71 seemed to be towards the middle but the 73 dusters 4 speeds i have looked at like 2 out of 10 had the light closer to the steering column. The rest were closer to the ash tray opening....crazy....

A lot of these were installed by owners. Many of them were installed in the location of cars with the key in the dash. I remember taking one from a 69 dart for a 70 auto dart switched to 4spd. and copied the measurement for the 69. That puts it closer to the ash tray. I may have a tan 73 4 spd dash upstairs. I'll take a look Tues.

A lot of these were installed by owners. Many of them were installed in the location of cars with the key in the dash. I remember taking one from a 69 dart for a 70 auto dart switched to 4spd. and copied the measurement for the 69. That puts it closer to the ash tray. I may have a tan 73 4 spd dash upstairs. I'll take a look Tues.
I really appreciate all the effort.I just want to get it as close as factory...

-
Back