73 Dart no air coming out of vents (A/C car)

-

73SlantSwinger

Reaction score
73 Swinger went to use the A/C the other day changing from defrost setting and no air coming out of the vent. I pulled the vent assembly and noticed the air door in the box is staying closed not letting air into the vents. Pushing the levers back and forth the door does nothing. Feeling around under the dash i found a black vacuum line with a white stripe on it coming from the driver's side that wasnt attached to anything? any help would be great, thanks

If you have a shop manual, there's a proof chart in there that shows what should be happening with whatever levers are selected

If not, you can download the 72 shop manual, but I don't know if 73's the same:

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf[/ame]

If that doesn't help I have a paper 74 manual, could post some shots.

Below is a sketch I made long ago when I worked on my 69 Dart. If you have the 5-button pneumo-electric switch, it may be the same, but 73 was a year for many changes. I also show how I added a relay on the "blower high" setting so it wouldn't melt the replacement switch.

Attachments

• 69 Dart Pneumatic Control.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 69 Dart Climate Electrical.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 139
The black vacuum line should come from the vacuum can in the engine compartment and go to the back of the vacuum switch in the control head.

Black w/ White Stripe goes to the Vacuum Actuator/Motor (metal canister) on the Driver's Side of the Heater Box IIRC. I can look at my '73 Duster and '74 Duster tomorrow to make sure though.

-
Back