73 Dart Sport Sunroof Help

-

Robrote

Reaction score
I'm the recent new owner of a 73 Dart Sport 340 with a factory sunroof. To say the sunroof is in poor shape is an understatement. There are no seals present, no silencer panel and the top is inoperable. I am noticing that there are no new parts available, so I will be doing a lot of fabricating and piecing it together.

If anyone has any parts, photos of what the parts look like, specifically the profile of the weather strips, or any knowledge of working on these, please reach out.

Thank you in advance.

Rob

How about a photo of what you are asking of your sunroof? We do not even know if yours is factory sunroof or aftermarket 70’s installed roof.

I'm the recent new owner of a 73 Dart Sport 340 with a factory sunroof. To say the sunroof is in poor shape is an understatement. There are no seals present, no silencer panel and the top is inoperable. I am noticing that there are no new parts available, so I will be doing a lot of fabricating and piecing it together.

If anyone has any parts, photos of what the parts look like, specifically the profile of the weather strips, or any knowledge of working on these, please reach out.

Thank you in advance.

Rob
Hey Rob, I understand the frustration on finding parts. I have a 73 Scamp with a factory sunroof and had to modify the seals with whatever I could find. The cables were fine but the cranking gear was worn out just enough so it wouldn't open or close. Not sure what all you need to fix but I got mine working great.
Don't remember the place I bought the material for the seal, but thin aluminum wrapped in a soft rubber that came in a roll that I glued on the lip of the opening.

IMG_20240622_094843628_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240622_094823546_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240622_094737578.jpg

Hey Rob, I understand the frustration on finding parts. I have a 73 Scamp with a factory sunroof and had to modify the seals with whatever I could find. The cables were fine but the cranking gear was worn out just enough so it wouldn't open or close. Not sure what all you need to fix but I got mine working great.
Don't remember the place I bought the material for the seal, but thin aluminum wrapped in a soft rubber that came in a roll that I glued on the lip of the opening.

View attachment 1716265901

View attachment 1716265902

View attachment 1716265903
Thank you. We just took the car to the exhaust shop this morning. I'll snap some pics of what I'm working with, when we get it back. Yours looks good!

Thank you. We just took the car to the exhaust shop this morning. I'll snap some pics of what I'm working with, when we get it back. Yours looks good!
It's not a perfect fix but it looks ok and works great.

It's not a perfect fix but it looks ok and works great.
My main concern is getting it sealed up. Right now, it's got no seals in it at all. Not that is will ever see rain, but an occasional car wash could be problematic.

My main concern is getting it sealed up. Right now, it's got no seals in it at all. Not that is will ever see rain, but an occasional car wash could be problematic.
I'm not 100% positive but I been told that the seals are made in Germany and some of the seals out of a German made car might work. But had mine done before I heard about it and never looked into it.

-
Back