73 duster electrical

-

pat d

Reaction score
Have a problem here hope you can help me with it. I have a 73 duster that was column shift which i converted to floor shift. I put in a steering column from a floor shift car, my nuetral safety switch does not work and i need to know what to do. Also my charging system does not work, new altinator, new voltage regulator. What gives?

Welcome aboard Pat, For the N safety switch, it's in the trans and shouldn't be an issue (or even unplugged) with just the shifter swap.... unless the shifter isn't moving the lever all of the way into park. You could try jiggling the shifter or disconnecting it from the trans and manually shifting the lever into park and checking the sender with a volt meter. Do your reverse lights work?

The "charging system does not work" issue is a world all it's own.
Is it not charging at all? low voltage? overcharging?
What was the "need" to change all of the parts out at once? or was it a new install?

Have a problem here hope you can help me with it. I have a 73 duster that was column shift which i converted to floor shift. I put in a steering column from a floor shift car, my nuetral safety switch does not work and i need to know what to do. Also my charging system does not work, new altinator, new voltage regulator. What gives?
I bought the car years ago , had no motor or trans missing some of the eletrical. The trans harness ,wiper motor harness and starter soliniod were missing, so I bought these items on ebay but i can't figure out were they hook up to even with a wiring diagram

Somebody in here has the wiring diagram. Just wait. I can't do it, as the scanner is down.

I have a wiring diagram the problem is were does the harness [trans] plug into. the harness I have from the trans has 4 wirers 3 of them go into a 3 prom grey connector other wire goes to starter soliniod.also the bulkhead connector on the firewall has 3 slots2of them are plugged in [facing the front of car] left,center. right side is empty,I have a wiper harness that plugs into it. there are 4 wires on one side empty on other. Ihave no idea on what to do? diagram is making blind !!!.

The trans harness should have 3 wires, 2 black and 1 brown/yellow ( the one may be other color based on year of harness ). what are the colors of the wires you've got on the trans plug?

I'll go look at my duster during lunch and let you know what the right bulkhead plug is for...

scan6-270002_highlight.JPG

The bulkhead plug closest to the drivers fender is for the wiper motor and the trans switch on my car which is a little different that the diagram above from 72. When I swapped to a manual I had to move the wires in the bulkhead connector to match the 73 diagram ( included below )
73Dart1wiringvrit.jpg
As you can see, if you have a harness from a different year, or the car has been modified, or if you are going off the wrong diagram....it can get really confusing really quick, AND to make that even more "fun" only some of the diagram is different between years.

I'm not sure what diagrams you are working with but If you want, pm me your email address and I'll send you the diagrams that I have or you can start here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

73Dart1wiringvrit.jpg

thank you PLAYER1UP will check it out this weekend.

-
Back