73 duster vented gas tank ?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
While messing with the sending unit on my duster, I noticed that the vent line at the top of the gas tank was not hooked up. There was a short rubber hose than a going up to the is. No canister. what's my best option? I have did a search but it is all over the place thanks

Here a the thing. People removed everything emissions back in the day. Problem is today’s fuel evaporates very quickly. When the ethanol fuel evaporates- the by product is water. Some sort of check valve to let air in and keep pressure in is better. A “roll over valve” helps. Tanks inc in Iowa sells them. If the car rolls over that open hole will dump gas out.
Syleng1

Here a the thing. People removed everything emissions back in the day. Problem is today’s fuel evaporates very quickly. When the ethanol fuel evaporates- the by product is water. Some sort of check valve to let air in and keep pressure in is better. A “roll over valve” helps. Tanks inc in Iowa sells them. If the car rolls over that open hole will dump gas out.
Syleng1
Where do you install it....could I ind stall a earlier duster filler tube in the tank

The 72 service manual shows it up near the charcoal canister on the tank vent line.

IMG_6492.jpg

I have done a search on this , but as I said before , it is all over the place, It would be nice to know that if a person wants to do away with that venting set up , this is what they could do.... Info would be appreciated. I'm sure by me as well as others. Any help is appreciated

if you don't want to put back the correct charcoal evap system/components, I would say, just add the valve to the vent line in the engine bay and connect the hard line to the vent nipple at the tank.

if you don't want to put back the correct charcoal evap system/components, I would say, just add the valve to the vent line in the engine bay and connect the hard line to the vent nipple at the tank.
Do you think it would be okay to mount that vent on the firewall instead of out front by the fender , it would probably look a little better

I think sometimes the vent lines were installed up along the passenger side firewall. So, I would think that would be ok. My replacement fuel line set put the vent line in the front corner of the engine bay behind the AC Drier canister (near the charcoal canister). here you can see the rubber hose running from the canister to the vent line.

IMG_64374B369C41-1.jpeg

You can't see the actual hard line in the photo but its tucked out of the way in that front corner

I think sometimes the vent lines were installed up along the passenger side firewall. So, I would think that would be ok. My replacement fuel line set put the vent line in the front corner of the engine bay behind the AC Drier canister (near the charcoal canister). here you can see the rubber hose running from the canister to the vent line.

View attachment 1716212900

You can't see the actual hard line in the photo but its tucked out of the way in that front corner
Thanks, I was also just reading that someone suggested. You could put a rubber line on it and run it to the PC v valve.
Is that an option

I havent yet. Your thread reminded me to order one and install it. Currently my vent line is just connected to the vent line nipple on the charcoal canister. In addition to the rollover protection and venting, the valve also serves an overfill purpose.

here is a thread where it was discussed before.

I am still restoring my car and it hasn't been on the road yet but I ordered the tanks inc one and one from amazon (from linked thread above) to see which one I like better. I'll install whichever one I like better next weekend.

Part of what makes this seem like there is conflicting information is there were quite a few changes to the vent/evap system in a short amount of time. for example 72 had a 1 year only charcoal canister with 4 nipples. 73 changed to a 3 nipple canister. pre 72 was different altogether. In the span of 3 years there are 3 different setups. Bottom line is, you need to focus on the 73 system and its nuances and vent according to what they did in 73.

I havent yet. Your thread reminded me to order one and install it. Currently my vent line is just connected to the vent line nipple on the charcoal canister. In addition to the rollover protection and venting, the valve also serves an overfill purpose.

here is a thread where it was discussed before.

I am still restoring my car and it hasn't been on the road yet but I ordered the tanks inc one and one from amazon (from linked thread above) to see which one I like better. I'll install whichever one I like better next weekend.

Part of what makes this seem like there is conflicting information is there were quite a few changes to the vent/evap system in a short amount of time. for example 72 had a 1 year only charcoal canister with 4 nipples. 73 changed to a 3 nipple canister. pre 72 was different altogether. In the span of 3 years there are 3 different setups. Bottom line is, you need to focus on the 73 system and its nuances and vent according to what they did in 73.
Ty

Just heard back from Tanks Inc. The valve they offer will not work/function as an overfill valve. I have cancelled that order. This Atwood valve does mention overfill protection. The factory manual says the OE valve operates at 12-16in of water pressure
IMG_6494.jpg

"The limiting valve, which prevents overfilling the fuel tank, is made of brass, has a needle-type design, and operates at pressures of 12 to 16 inches of water pressure. It is located in the vapor vent line, (Fig. 1)"

This is an early abody tank for my barracuda set up for fuel injection - electric fuel pump in the tank.
If you look at the photo one vent line from the pump “y” with the top nipple on the tank. This is where you attach the roll over valve if you don’t have the factory set up.
If your tank is factory style then you have only one nipple to attach to.

IMG_6186.jpeg

So if I use this vent and mount it on the firewall as I would like to.
I will still smell gas correct at times..

Do you actually have that 5 nipple monstrosity in your 73? Our 318 73 Gold Duster had the little rubber connector on the top to a 3/16 steel tube like 8 ft long looped to a spout under the upper rear shock area. We put a 3 line Omni filter in and used the steel line as a return to the sending unit extra nipple.

Do you actually have that 5 nipple monstrosity in your 73? Our 318 73 Gold Duster had the little rubber connector on the top to a 3/16 steel tube like 8 ft long looped to a spout under the upper rear shock area. We put a 3 line Omni filter in and used the steel line as a return to the sending unit extra nipple.
Mine just has the nipple at the top of the tank above the sending unit. There's a rubber hose that connects to a steel line. That goes all the way up to the passenger side on the interfender and Bends up to a Thirty five or forty five degree angle and that's it

Don't overthink it. If you're looking for oem set up with a canister it's not that big a deal to throw one in. Otherwise just vent that tank to the line. My 2 cents.

Don't overthink it. If you're looking for oem set up with a canister it's not that big a deal to throw one in. Otherwise just vent that tank to the line. My 2 cents.
I am not wanting to use the canister set up as of now. It's vented to that steel line on the passenger side Fender. Just didn't know if I needed to put a vent or some kind of filter on the end of that steel line on the passenger fender

Last edited:
-
Back