73 Swinger green turn signal arrow intermittent:

-

73SlantSwinger

Reaction score
Noticed the last couple days the left hand side turn signal arrow (green in color) only lights up sometimes. I can hear the flasher turn on and off and the right hand side lights up fine. I can tap the cluster with my hand and it will come on and then go out after a few seconds.....I did just pull the cluster forward last week and swap the bulbs I could get to from behind.....any ideas?

You can probably reach that with the cluster in place. Maybe just feel and see if it has turned out a little. Or maybe one of the tabs broke off. I only think this because when you tap it it works.

There's not much in that circuit. Comes off the signal lamp harness, goes up to the PC board connector, then on a board trace over to the indicator socket

So bad PC board connector, bad connection at the lamp socket, or poor connection in the socket to the bulb

I ended up taking the column down and moving the cluster forward....sure enough it was a few broken tabs on the sockets.....two of em had this issue so NAPA has em for $5.00, ill do both of them in the am and hook everything back up, eventually ill need a new cluster as this one has cracks on the edges, two little pieces busted off the bottom pulling it forward, damn old cars.

If and when i end up putting another cluster in the car, can i do it with the column lowered and the steering wheel still on? or will the wheel have to come off? it looks like i might be able to sneak it out above the wheel....

-
Back