74 Duster bench to bucket ???

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
My car is elsewhere being worked on right now, the rail width on my new seats are 18.5 inches wide what issues may I run into installing these.
I know there a couple of humps in there will I need shims

Whoever did the restore on my 69 used some b body buckets to replace the bench seat. They didn’t have any a body tracks since it was a bench seat car originally. There is a bunch of box steel and flat steel used to mount them. Works fine but took some improvising. The didn’t use the original mounting humps. Mine is a driver, so I am not real picky if it looks/ works good enough.

They also converted it to a console using a B&M quick silver ratchet shifter and a stock console. I didn’t like it at first but have gotten used to it. The auto floor shift parts and brackets are hard to find and I would guess harder to install. The B&M is a cable shifter so it is pretty easy to install. The column shift console was changed out for a floor shift one.

28C45C51-50DA-467F-A0DF-5F85BCC111E2.jpeg

9F2C1BCE-256F-434E-8C21-92E76C29677C.jpeg

If the bucket seats and rails are from a Duster you should be ok. You will need to confirm the drivers seat is centered to the wheel. If they are not from a Duster or a Sport, then there may be issues. The seat rails on the Duster are short. (about 2" tall) The left side of the drivers seat rail on the Swingers & Scamps are about 3" tall. The floor pans are different between the Duster and Swinger bodies. I used Duster Buckets in my 75 Swinger. Attached are photos of what I did to level the drivers seat. When you get your car back set the seat without the carpet and go from there.

20181230_163101.jpg

20181230_163050.jpg

20181230_163156.jpg

In your last pic, those are 74 Duster Buckets. They will fit in a bench car, but there are two extra holes that you will need to drill for the two inside studs. There are a total of eight holes for cars w/buckets , but only four for a bench seat. The two inside holes on each side came from the factory with a thin piece of metal welded on top of the floor where your inside holes are, for support

They should look great....Just be prepared to spend time making them fit correctly. Have fun:)

-
Back