74 Five MPH Front Bumper & Shocks

-
I was not aware of the early cars having shocks, then switching back to brackets. My December and February produced Dart Sport 360's both have the brackets, not shocks. Both cars have the 3 holes on the side of the frame, and the small hole in the front for the shocks, so they could use either system. My parts car has the shocks and all the same holes. I don't know its build date off hand.

Yeah, I, and a bunch of other people have assumed at one point or another that the order was reversed, since that makes the most sense- the mandate for 5mph bumpers took effect and there was a mid-year switch. But because of some kind of production issue in the front, it was actually backward with the '74 model year starting with shock bumpers and then going back to standard, non-shock mounted bumpers in the front only.

Pretty much all of the cars I've heard about fit into 2 categories, August - December '73 build date '74's that had shock mounted bumpers and the single mounting hole, and then December '73 through to July '74 build date '74's that had standard brackets and 3 holes in the frame. There's been one exception I'm aware of so far, and that was @DionR 's car that had shock mounts, 3 hole locations, but the standard hole locations were unthreaded. His car was a late November '73 build. So likely the factory knew they had to change over and the first change was the frame rail mounts, until they ran out of shock mount bumpers. So if I were a betting man, I'd say your parts car was probably built late November to early December to have shock mount brackets and all 3 frame rail locations.

It's been covered a bunch of times, there are a few threads on it with '74 owners posting the build dates of their cars and the type of bumpers they had that established the general dates I've listed so far. Obviously no exact dates for the changeover just based on '74 owners listing their dates, and like DionR's car I'm sure there are some different combinations close to the changeover dates.

Here's a few of the threads, there's others linked in these too

How many CURRENT owners of real '74 360 Duster 4 speed cars on here?

What the rubber bumper is going on in 74

'73 bumper brackets on a '76 ?

Today I "tucked" in the back bumper, I moved in as far and as high as it would go.
Again the ends are a little wild, but I'm pretty happy with it...

17145151695971764631799196003994.jpg

17145152169691096246239620004228.jpg

17145153259194795558198386279281.jpg

especially how it looks from the back. Now I can trim and set the the exhaust pipes to the right height.

17145166696634139425839241421666.jpg

Back to what Blue said about Dions car. Mine had the front shocks with the 3 un-threaded holes behind them. I drilled thru the frame and bolted on my new mounts.
The back bumper which didn't come with mounts, was in the back seat when I got the car. The bumper and reinforcement weighed in at 62lbs. Losing all that crazy stuff front and back eliminated close to 110lbs +/- from the car.

Last edited:
-
Back