741/489 case

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I have bothe a 489 case with 3:23 open as well as a 741 case with a 3:91 SG. Two questions here, will the 3:91 s fit in the 489 case? and is there any difference in the Dshaft lenth between the two (489 and 741).

I have bothe a 489 case with 3:23 open as well as a 741 case with a 3:91 SG. Two questions here, will the 3:91 s fit in the 489 case? and is there any difference in the Dshaft lenth between the two (489 and 741).

The driveshaft should be fine,as long as your running the same transmission..the sure-grip WILL interchange..but the gears will NOT interchange the 489 and 741 use a different size pinion bearing....

Hey Wally,if you need any help?I,m just a phone call away.Tools,jack,stands,brakes anything.?:cheers:

Hey Wally,if you need any help?I,m just a phone call away.Tools,jack,stands,brakes anything.?:cheers:
I may take you up on it when I wrestle the 8 3/4 into place. It's beside the car right now with now room to spare and a heavy &^&$. I know you are busy with work and the 66 right now. Thanks bud.

do you want to switch to the 3.91s? If so just use it , you won't break it and if you do you need to upgrade to a Dana 60 .

All 8 3/4s have the same weakness , the GEAR TEETH , you can upgrade , back brace , put in race axles and a spool, they all eventually break in the same place .

wrestling the 8 3/4 into place... if you are swapping the whole rear, drop the spring shackles do the back of the springs are laying on the ground, slide the rear end in from the back of the car... bolt it onto the springs (loosely) and go from there....

wrestling the 8 3/4 into place... if you are swapping the whole rear, drop the spring shackles do the back of the springs are laying on the ground, slide the rear end in from the back of the car... bolt it onto the springs (loosely) and go from there....
Thanks, I was refering to getting the assy positioned at the rear of the car on a floor jack. My garage is small and it is beside the car on a stand I made. Thanks for the tip though. I may swap out the leafs as well and raise it into place as one piece.

do you want to switch to the 3.91s? If so just use it , you won't break it and if you do you need to upgrade to a Dana 60 .

All 8 3/4s have the same weakness , the GEAR TEETH , you can upgrade , back brace , put in race axles and a spool, they all eventually break in the same place .

Must be the same weaknest for the dana then,cause' i saw a guy rip the gear teeth off on his dana last year...

Must be the same weaknest for the dana then,cause' i saw a guy rip the gear teeth off on his dana last year...

Come on Dave , you aren't seriously implying an 8 3/4 is as strong as a dana ?

If somebody really wants to break something then they will , nothing is BULLETPROOF .

Even if it would work why put the 741 guts in the 489 case. Just run the 741 as is. Even though the 741 is the smallest of the three it is still a pretty strong diff and very under rated.

Chuck

-
Back