76 yrs. ago today

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As the son of a WWII veteran please join me in remembering what happened on dec. 7th 1941 at pearl harbor.
Pay respects and thank all that were lost and those few veterans from WWII that are still with us.

My Dad was shipped off to France (19 years old). Fought until he had his right leg severely damaged (multiple 50 Cal rounds). He lost his leg (after multiple surgeries) and barely survived the trip back to the states. Here's a pic of him (on the right) with one of his buddies at the VA hospital in Utah. Every time I look at this pic I find it totally amazing that a man can go through holy hell, lose his leg, almost die numerous times (gangrene) and still manage to smile with such gusto!!! I guess he was happy to be alive!!! They don't make them like that anymore.

treblig

DSC07719.JPG

Last edited:
My father was a b-17 gunnery officer. Tunisia and Italy. Flew 27 missions. Was offered opportunity to go home after 25 and said no.
Stayed in and retired from the air force in 1968.
Unfortunately he passed in 2003. One of many,many heroes that severd during the big one but he was and will always be my hero.

D4E920C0-4D70-43E6-909E-0AE7C42DB416.jpeg

Thank you for posting a reminder to those who may not have remembered.
I will always remember.
My uncle was a young sailor aboard the U.S.S. West Virginia, anchored on Battleship Row at Pearl Harbor ahead of and outboard of the U.S.S. Arizona. During the attack he was blown into the water and had to swim away from his ship under the burning oil on the surface. Although he and my aunt lived in a beautiful home with a pool, to his dying day he could not get into water deep enough to cover his knees without having flashbacks of his swim during the Japanese attack.

A salute to your father and the many men and women serving during WW11. I salute all my brothers and sisters serving during war and peace time. Semper Fi

Here's daddy aboard the USS Hilbert DE742. He was aboard for the ship's entire commission. He served in both Atlantic and Pacific theaters. He was a different breed for sure. Didn't take any crap and was ready to back it up at any moment, right up until his death at 74.

I don't think he's likin havin his picture taken.

DADDY HILBERT.JPG

Here's daddy aboard the USS Hilbert DE742. He was aboard for the ship's entire commission. He served in both Atlantic and Pacific theaters. He was a different breed for sure. Didn't take any crap and was ready to back it up at any moment, right up until his death at 74.

I don't think he's likin havin his picture taken.

View attachment 1715118662
From your description of your Dad....sounds like you're a chip off the old block. He must have been a hell of a man!!

Treblig

My dad was in the the Marines, stationed at pearl. He left there a couple days before it was hit to drive to Ga and marry my mother. OK so he was driving a Buick!! Or was it an Olds??? He was driving across Texas the morning of Dec. 7th. He heard on the radio of the strike on Pearl. It said ALL military personnel to return to their bases immediately. He made like he did not hear it, and kept driving! Got married the next day. And off again!!
And I showed up 7 years later!!!! ha

Dad was a Navy petty man , '41 -'45... I miss him deeply ,and oh .... the stories he would tell.
To the remaining : God Bless your souls ; and rest in peace ..for saving the free world.

My Grandpa lied about his age to get in and was an engineer for PPCLI (higher than normal IQ him and my mom...apparantly it missed me) served in italy and africa, maybe more places. He passed away when i was in my 20s. Now in my mid 30s wish i had asked more questions. He never talked much about it, funny guy always happy. Darn near deaf from it too.

Different generation. Thats for sure!

This is awesome. Just watch a few seconds or if you love history like me watch his whole speech.

The Navy made incredible photos to show present-day Pearl Harbor compared with the day of the attack

And from the president that ended it.

Harry S. Truman: Exchange of Messages With Pope Pius XII.
Your Holiness, this is a Christian Nation. More than a half century ago that declaration was written into the decrees of the highest court in this land. It is not without significance that the valiant pioneers who left Europe to establish settlements here, at the very beginning of their colonial enterprises, declared their faith in the Christian religion and made ample provision for its practice and for its support. The story of the Christian missionaries who in earliest days endured perils, hardship--even death itself in carrying the message of Jesus Christ to untutored savages is one that still moves the hearts of men.

As a Christian Nation our earnest desire is to work with men of good will everywhere to banish war and the causes of war from the world whose Creator desired that men of every race and in every clime should live together in peace, good will and mutual trust. Freedom of conscience, ordained by the Fathers of our Constitution to all who live under the flag of the United States, has been a bulwark of national strength, a source of happiness, from the establishment of our Nation to this day.

I believe that the greatest need of the world today, fundamental to all else, is a renewal of faith. I seek to encourage renewed faith in the dignity and worth of the human person in all lands, to the end that the individual's sacred rights, inherent in his relationship to God and his fellows, will be respected in every land. We must have faith in the inevitable triumph of truth and decency; faith that mankind shall live in freedom, not in the chains of untruth nor in the chains of a collectivist organization of their lives; faith of such fullness that it will energize men and women everywhere to build with tenacity, the better social world order under self-rule. The times demand faith that is strong enough to struggle if need be for the right, that is able to endure troubles and hardships, attack and even contempt from forces of evil--and able to arise reborn and revitalized from the daily struggle. Faith leads to hope, to determination, to trust in the truth and the good, and to sustained effort to create the kind of peace and well-being sought by humble men and women in all lands and which will ultimately prevail between all nations. Through faith, the purposes of God shall be carried out in the hearts and deeds of Man. I believe with heartfelt conviction that those who do not recognize their responsibility to Almighty God cannot meet their full duty toward their fellow men.

Last edited:
The Navy made incredible photos to show present-day Pearl Harbor compared with the day of the attack

And from the president that ended it.

Harry S. Truman: Exchange of Messages With Pope Pius XII.
Your Holiness, this is a Christian Nation. More than a half century ago that declaration was written into the decrees of the highest court in this land. It is not without significance that the valiant pioneers who left Europe to establish settlements here, at the very beginning of their colonial enterprises, declared their faith in the Christian religion and made ample provision for its practice and for its support. The story of the Christian missionaries who in earliest days endured perils, hardship--even death itself in carrying the message of Jesus Christ to untutored savages is one that still moves the hearts of men.

As a Christian Nation our earnest desire is to work with men of good will everywhere to banish war and the causes of war from the world whose Creator desired that men of every race and in every clime should live together in peace, good will and mutual trust. Freedom of conscience, ordained by the Fathers of our Constitution to all who live under the flag of the United States, has been a bulwark of national strength, a source of happiness, from the establishment of our Nation to this day.

I believe that the greatest need of the world today, fundamental to all else, is a renewal of faith. I seek to encourage renewed faith in the dignity and worth of the human person in all lands, to the end that the individual's sacred rights, inherent in his relationship to God and his fellows, will be respected in every land. We must have faith in the inevitable triumph of truth and decency; faith that mankind shall live in freedom, not in the chains of untruth nor in the chains of a collectivist organization of their lives; faith of such fullness that it will energize men and women everywhere to build with tenacity, the better social world order under self-rule. The times demand faith that is strong enough to struggle if need be for the right, that is able to endure troubles and hardships, attack and even contempt from forces of evil--and able to arise reborn and revitalized from the daily struggle. Faith leads to hope, to determination, to trust in the truth and the good, and to sustained effort to create the kind of peace and well-being sought by humble men and women in all lands and which will ultimately prevail between all nations. Through faith, the purposes of God shall be carried out in the hearts and deeds of Man. I believe with heartfelt conviction that those who do not recognize their responsibility to Almighty God cannot meet their full duty toward their fellow men.

To bad so much evil has been done around the same faith also. Alot of it by the catholics here.

Not to ruin this thread.

76 years ago today - The Greatest Generation responded to a foreign threat. We, those who followed after, owe them a dept that can never repaid, except by cherishing the freedom that was won and preserved.

Thank you to all those who served.

God rest their souls. Pearl Harbor Day has always been a special day to me. But then again, I get all choked up whenever I pass a National Cemetery.

-
Back