77 Dodge Class C motorhome engine removal

-
After dragging old 318 out of the way....we drug the new 360 out of the garage and finally got it in front of the truck...then pushed the truck under the hoisted engine...and that sucker dropped right in....Now the fun begins to get everything hooked up...

20210221_125739_resized.jpg

Thought I had a good day....got shifter mounted on the floor....got transmission under the truck and got it bolted on to the back of the engine...as I am waiting for rear trans mount....but then...but then
as I walk towards my truck to leave for the day I see something.....the god dam flexplate....

laided under that truck today and never notice that the flex plate was missing...old age is wonderful....that a 1st for me...

Last edited:
Thought I had a good day....got shifter mounted on the floor....got transmission under the truck and got it bolted on to the back of the engine...as I am waiting for rear trans mount....but then...but then
as I walk tomorrow my truck to leave for the day I see something.....the god dam flexplate....

laided under that truck today and never notice that the flex plate was missing...old age is wonderful....that a 1st for me...

Been picking up to many bad installation habits from that dumb dentist guy....

I once left the converter out many years ago on a pickup truck but i have a great excuse...I had 3 teenage girls sun bathing next door to me....

ok...not been a good week getting things done.....

Lower the trans today to get flex plate installed....then the flexplate bolts are too long....WTF?......then i realized this bolts were holding on a flywheel ...ARP flexplate bolts are 1/2 inch...these are 7/8 inch long...and i can not find the converter bolts either....so they are on order from Summit ....tomorrow night ....so Friday....lol

Going to work on the front of the motor for awhile...still got a/c, alternator and ps to hook up.....

On Friday I get back to where I was on Monday....Transmission is bolted in....Rear cross member bolted...

Now moving on to shifter linkage....deep trans pan...and cooler lines...

the last things that go on will be the headers and exhaust....Soon I hope..,,,still got some parts coming....or upgrades...

Sunday was cold and windy so I punted..

Getting the front of the motor bolted on...AC ..alternator......on hold there...

making steel braided lines for the trans cooler..got one line made.....then i must have some junk fittings or hose cause i am getting anywhere...the fitting look like no names...so I got some named ones coming tomorrow..samething with the hose...
but I got the cooler mounted on the radiator...need this thing running this week....so i can get radiator in....fan/water pump pulley and shroud...But Duty calls....

I am somewhere between unemployed and retired....worked called today and asked I would do a site visit for them.....Drive to Tonopah NV....about 3 hours north on US95....visit the old Tonopah Airport...built in the 40s for WW II bomber training...
they have money to fix cracks in the runway...so they need some one to measure the cracks....so Wednesday I will be measuring cracks....LOL...width and length...the job will go out to bid later this month.....maybe I will back to watch the work...
So 6 hours driving....Hope I can get the cracked measured in two hours...LOL>....

Well..Got to play on an active Runway today....Used to play on the freeway .....
Tower guy gave me a radio and he said I will tell you went to get clear...LOL
But no planes for the 4 hours I was out there....only an Army helicopter stopping to gas up.....glad I did not have to pay that bill....will I guess as a taxpayer I did...lol
7 hour round trip just driving alone..Made it home....back to work on the truck tomorrow...got some UPS boxes i needed...

Dam cable for the shifter was 5 ft long...ordered a new 3 ft cable...they should sell the shifter with no cables....

Last edited:
Well..Got to play on an active Runway today....Used to play on the freeway .....
Tower guy gave me a radio and he said I will tell you went to get clear...LOL
But no planes for the 4 hours I was out there....only an Army helicopter stopping to gas up.....glad I did not have to pay that bill....will I guess as a taxpayer I did...lol
7 hour round trip just driving alone..Made it home....back to work on the truck tomorrow...got some UPS boxes i needed...

Dam cable for the shifter was 5 ft long...ordered a new 3 ft cable...they should sell the shifter with no cables....
on of my buddies is a CW2 and flies a blackhawk
if i remember correctly, those things cost $3000.00 an hour to operate (that includes fuel, maintenance and what not...didnt ask if it included ammunition)

if i remember correctly, those things cost $3000.00 an hour to operate (that includes fuel, maintenance and what not...didnt ask if it included ammunition)

I think that's how expensive Lamborghini and Ferrari's are to operate per hour as well.

Doubt it includes ammo. The armed forces probably get ammo much cheaper but ammo is sky high right now, Holy cow.

Waiting on a couple of small parts for this truck.....plus still recovering from a day of work...LOL

I still have a 340 TA engine sitting on the engine stand....I had put the crank in it a week ago...today I knocked the odd bank of pistons in..

maybe i can find time tomorrow to finish the job on it...lolo

Daughter and I got quite a few things done today...shifter installed...with all the chrome cover...and linkage hooked up...radiator in with tranny cooler hooked to it....radiator hoses...heater hoses...fan belts...fan and shroud ...

need a gas filter and i can finish plumbing the fuel line to that Big Holley 600 vs carb....got the kickdown linkage from the motorhome to hook up...

tracking number on my trans lines from inline tubes shows Thursday....that is what holding up the show..

This is turning into a career........

We got some more things done today...I got the fuel lines all plumbed....Got the passenger side header all bolted down...that was a pain in the ***....

Then ..what i thought this was a slam dunk ..but it was an air ball....the throttle pressure linkage....aka kickdown linkage...I figured i would use the one that came off the motorhome...it is a one piece rod....well ,,,,it hits the cab and wont fit....so dam...
I figured i was going to have to do a Dental Dart and order a lokar cable linkage....then I remember a few months ago I bought a complete set off ebay ..cheap...
So bingo it bolted right on....the 3 piece unit...with the bellcranks and all,,,,,

Still waiting for the cooler lines ..tracking number shows thursday.....i need to get some plugs...atf....put the distributor in....

and i have to tackle that front u joint ....got an idea....going to measure the front half shaft from the motorhome and see if they are the same length....

This is turning into a career........

We got some more things done today...I got the fuel lines all plumbed....Got the passenger side header all bolted down...that was a pain in the ***....

Then ..what i thought this was a slam dunk ..but it was an air ball....the throttle pressure linkage....aka kickdown linkage...I figured i would use the one that came off the motorhome...it is a one piece rod....well ,,,,it hits the cab and wont fit....so dam...
I figured i was going to have to do a Dental Dart and order a lokar cable linkage....then I remember a few months ago I bought a complete set off ebay ..cheap...
So bingo it bolted right on....the 3 piece unit...with the bellcranks and all,,,,,

Still waiting for the cooler lines ..tracking number shows thursday.....i need to get some plugs...atf....put the distributor in....

and i have to tackle that front u joint ....got an idea....going to measure the front half shaft from the motorhome and see if they are the same length....

Don't do things like me... for some reason it still never works after haha.

beautiful day in Vegas....except wind is blowing 30 mph......got a couple things done and then put a lid on it....

Got the new throttle cable hooked up....and dust cover on 727 bolted in place..,,,,

dropped in distributor....but no 1 is at TDC....and the rotor is pointing somewhere else....lol....going to have to get long screw driver and move the intermediate shaft....

I need spark plugs and Tranny fluid.....

The part I need will not be here until Thursday night....sat in Phoenix for two days...love UPS....

Probably not going to get back to the Truck until Monday at least.....Racing this weekend....Waking up Race cars....one down two to go...

parts finally showed up for the trans cooler....then I ordered a new ignition kit....Monday for it....but suppose to be racing this Saturday as Friday got rained out....

Damn everything thing jumped the Army used to charge 700 hr for non medevac use of a Huey!!

Worked on truck this morning until the wind kept blowing dirt in my eyes...

Got the trans cooler lines hooked up....and did did finial adjustments on the shifter linkage ....then....the fricking driver side heads want to fight me like they never been on there...LOL....that is when I quit....

Go work on a race car in the garage....

Back working on this thing....dam driver side header fell into place today......

making progress again......

Just curious and have to ask if there is any grille marker lights left from any of the disassembled van body motor homes in this thread? I am looking for a decent set.

I think one of them is good....one came off in two pieces..

if it is good....you can have for the shipping...

-
Back