79’ Little Red Express 360 and 727

-

78 trucks
1978-Dodge-LRT-Express-02.jpg

79 trucks
1979-Dodge-LRT-Express-02.jpg

Oh boy and the plot thickens...haha

Yeah, but does it really matter? DO YOU really care? You gotta badass core either way and it'll make a really nice engine no matter what.

My 79 engines apart (all the stuff in boxes, no carb, bored .030 but no pistons) I’ll check the block
C05C41E7-3791-4B12-94FD-76982CCEFFA1.jpeg
out tonite. 440s going back in it for the time being. Mine has beige colored bench, carpet, and door panels. I need bed parts too.

Yeah, but does it really matter? DO YOU really care? You gotta badass core either way and it'll make a really nice engine no matter what.
No It doesn’t matter to me Rob, but apparently it does to others. It’s all in good fun.

No It doesn’t matter to me Rob, but apparently it does to others. It’s all in good fun.

lol Yeah I know the feelin. If I can help you out with any of it let me know. I called Scott's about a week ago to just chat him up. I may take some stuff to him. He sounded really reasonable and very in the know. He's like everybody else now ans so busy he doesn't know which end is up.

My 79 engines apart (all the stuff in boxes, no carb, bored .030 but no pistons) I’ll check the block View attachment 1715722657 out tonite. 440s going back in it for the time being. Mine has beige colored bench, carpet, and door panels. I need bed parts too.
I would be interested to find out if your 360 had the windage tray. Also if you can what is the date of your block.

lol Yeah I know the feelin. If I can help you out with any of it let me know. I called Scott's about a week ago to just chat him up. I may take some stuff to him. He sounded really reasonable and very in the know. He's like everybody else now ans so busy he doesn't know which end is up.
I stopped into Scott’s to see if he would polish a crank for me a couple weeks back. He talked me out of it, said for me to run it as is. I think they get busy with the dirt track race season stuff. I do need to finish gathering a few things and drop my roller motor crank and things for a balance job.

Former co worker of mine had 5 Lil' Reds, in varying states of assembly. One had a 440 under the hood, he drove it occasionally, took it to the track once that I know of, ran a 15.3x IIRC. The other 4 trucks were all in project state, he offered me one but it needed too much work for what he was asking. I passed on a complete engine from one in the mid 80s, was disassembled but I could have had it free. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I’ll look
Ok, block date, 6-8 or 9/8/78 hard to make out the month but is a single digit. Left Front under head, 9W 360 11 6415 nothing on skirt pad. Main caps were off in box, bolts have nothing to attach tray like my 340 does.
Under hood on decal
Engine family 9TD 360 4DA

Ceedawg, awesome thanks just like I thought no windage tray thats so interesting. Mine is 12-12-78. I want to check the cam to see if it has the 68’ part number 2899206

Ceedawg, awesome thanks just like I thought no windage tray thats so interesting. Mine is 12-12-78. I want to check the cam to see if it has the 68’ part number 2899206
Mine has one lobe wiped, might stick it in the lathe to check out specs, lift should tell all.

My '78 is long gone, but I remember it had the windage tray. I also had a Warlock for a couple of years, but it was a 318, IIRC. The black paint was really nice.

I have a 79 Little Red Express
That I've had since I was 16 I'm 56 now
Anyway I was the first to open it up and rebuild it and it doesn't have a windage tray
One thing I found interesting is the rods aren't numbered they have symbols
Like stars, spades, hearts, diamonds...etc
I still have the original cam in a box.
When I get some time I want to measure it to see if it is a 340 cam like some say.
I had put in the early street hemi purple shaft.

I have a 79 Little Red Express
That I've had since I was 16 I'm 56 now
Anyway I was the first to open it up and rebuild it and it doesn't have a windage tray
One thing I found interesting is the rods aren't numbered they have symbols
Like stars, spades, hearts, diamonds...etc
I still have the original cam in a box.
When I get some time I want to measure it to see if it is a 340 cam like some say.
I had put in the early street hemi purple shaft.
That appears to be the case for the 79’ no windage tray. My rods are also marked by symbols.

That appears to be the case for the 79’ no windage tray. My rods are also marked by symbols.
I am not going to accept that 3 Motors not having a windage tray tells us that out of over 5,000 trucks there were no windage trays put in the motors

I seem to remember that these trucks came with a CFD crank as opposed to the garden variety AAWJ ones that most 360's came with, interesting thread, let us know what else you find.

I don't think any of them actually came with a part number, you will probably have to measure a few lobes for lift, some came with some paint codes on them but I can't recall exactly what they were.

I am not going to accept that 3 Motors not having a windage tray tells us that out of over 5,000 trucks there were no windage trays put in the motors
I understand what your saying, I did say in post #20 that it maybe a situation where some have it and some don’t. That’s what I’m trying to figure out the date of the block. So I can narrow down if it’s the earlier blocks that had them in 79’ compared to the late blocks. But I will say this seeing how you disagree with me on this matter. I’m here asking first hand knowledge and you seem to be going against the grain on it. Why? I’m not sure, believe what you want. We are seeing that at least some of the 79’s did not have them.

-
Back