79’ Little Red Express 360 and 727

-
I understand what your saying, I did say in post #20 that it maybe a situation where some have it and some don’t. That’s what I’m trying to figure out the date of the block. So I can narrow down if it’s the earlier blocks that had them in 79’ compared to the late blocks. But I will say this seeing how you disagree with me on this matter. I’m here asking first hand knowledge and you seem to be going against the grain on it. Why? I’m not sure, believe what you want. We are seeing that at least some of the 79’s did not have them.
I’ll add, from the date on my block it looks like a very early 79 build with no tray. So it’s not like a later thing and they ‘ran out’ or ‘phased out’. Also in the two ads it shows two different trans for 78 and 79

Ok here is the reply from John who has a well documented site
https://www.lilreddad.com/magazine-articles.html
“Hi again Denis,
To answer your question, NO, none of the production Li’l Reds had a windage tray.
I think the original 2 prototypes had the tray, but no production trucks.
This will save you some time looking around for info on the tray.
Thanks,
John”

https://www.lilreddad.com/magazine-articles.html
“Hi again Denis,
To answer your question, NO, none of the production Li’l Reds had a windage tray.
Thanks,
John”

John Roberts is the go to guy on LRT's

That appears to be the case for the 79’ no windage tray. My rods are also marked by symbols.

My 77 400 with the factory steel crank had playing card markings and also had the maltese cross stamp on the block as well. It had .001" crank bearings.

I am not going to accept that 3 Motors not having a windage tray tells us that out of over 5,000 trucks there were no windage trays put in the motors

Obviously not, since you're disagreeing like a mad man about it. It's funny, because nobody's "SAID" the 79 didn't have the windage tray......we're all just theorizing.......guessing, based on the very few we've seen. I agree with you that it's not near enough evidence, but it is three. Whether they are factory no windage tray engines remains to be seen.

This is what I'm disagreeing with.

I get it, but still no one's come out and said 100% it was like that, so you're disagreeing conjecture. A guess. And that's fine too.

Magazine Articles
“Hi again Denis,
Thanks,
John”

Well, I'll disagree with THAT. LOL I had a local friend who lived in Gray, Andy Causey. He's dead now, but he was all things cool 70s Mopar. Lil Reds, Warlocks, Midnight Express trucks, He even had two Petty kit cars. I helped him do some work on an original unmolested Lil Red. It had sludge in the bottom and I cleaned it all out for him and basically rebuilt the bottom end. Dropped the pan. Windage tray. First time it had ever been apart. So yeah, I know first hand of at least ONE 78 that had it.

Last edited:
This was my whole reason for this post Rob. I know most 78’s seemed to have them, it appears to me that the 79’s didn’t. At least the ones that have been presented in this thread. I would love to find a black and white answer but I don’t think there is one. But it’s fun to poke around on the subject.

This was my whole reason for this post Rob. I know most 78’s seemed to have them, it appears to me that the 79’s didn’t. At least the ones that have been presented in this thread. I would love to find a black and white answer but I don’t think there is one. But it’s fun to poke around on the subject.

Right. That's the whole point of this......just havin fun wonderin and guessin what they did and why. I've always thought it was a real shame they didn't go ahead with the W2 motors and just give it one last real bang right there at the end of the 70s. That wouldda been a hoot. But then comes the question.....what would they have done with intakes and exhaust manifolds? Would have been really interesting.

I seem to remember that these trucks came with a CFD crank as opposed to the garden variety AAWJ ones that most 360's came with, interesting thread, let us know what else you find.
Checked my crank and it does have the CFD mark and says 360 in two places.

I managed to meet a Mopar fan who has a 79’ LRE. He drove down from Illinois to pick up the motor and trans. What is awesome is that he and his son made the road trip to GA and the motor is only 4 days apart on the casting date from the original one that dropped a valve and trashed the motor. Can’t get much closer than that when when looking for a period correct motor. He said he came across one other over the years that was over priced he passed on that one. Here is his truck. He has several abodies and ebodies. Glad it went to a deserving truck.
109A1061-C155-473A-93FA-D551B4FB6B20.jpeg

Last edited:
I managed to meet a Mopar fan who has a 79’ LRE. He drove down from Illinois to pick up the motor and trans. What is awesome is that he and his son made the road trip to GA and the motor is only 4 days apart on the casting date from the original one that dropped a valve and trashed the motor. Can’t get much closer than that when when looking for a period correct motor. He said he came across one other over the years that was over priced he passed on that one. Here is his truck. He has several abodies and ebodies. Glad it went to a deserving truck. View attachment 1715737573
People like you are what's keeping this site going. Kudo's to you sir, and karma points added.

-
Back