8 3/4 center chunks

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
This is probably gonna sound stupid but i have 2 71 Duster center chunks for 8 3/4 rears and on the side they are stamped 741! :scratch:

Are these 489's?
Pinion size the same?

I know 742 had a smaller pinion shaft,i just noticed the stamping's today and then i checked a B-body center i have and it's stamped 489.

Any ideas what these are? :scratch:

The 741 is junk. Just send them to me and I'll take care of them for you. :D

741s are the smallest pinion. Mostly used in a bodies. Not the strongest but by no means week. Hard to get Ring and pinions for though.

green67cuda said:
so what would my 3.55 cone-type sure grip 741 bring?
3.55 gear ratio brings the most money, 741 brings the least... I am not sure what a 3.55 741 will bring. $250....

green67cuda said:
so what would my 3.55 cone-type sure grip 741 bring?

Are you thinking about selling this unit? I have a 741 chunk that I am going to put behind a 318 someday. I would like to find either 3.23 or 3.55's and possibly a sure grip for it.

yes, i will sell it...i will have no use for it...it's a 3.55 suregrip....741 case...

also, it's a CONE type suregrip, but i checked the side clearances on the inside, and one side needed a little machine work to extend the life out some more, and I still have to shim it to take up the slack. once i find or make 2 shims for it, it'll be ready to bolt back together, put in, and set the backlash. it doesn't HAVE to have the shims, but it'll help make it tighter...a wee bit....

anyway...yes, it will be sold.....you're actually the first to ask...so looks like you've got first dibs

I looked all over and couldnt find anything deeper than 3.91 for the 741 I had so I sold it off on ebay for $75 (carrier only) and turned around and bought a 742 for $50 the same weekend ...LOL

The reason i asked about them is because i never seen one before,i thought there was only 2 a 489 and a 742.
What exactly is different between a 741 and a 489?
Just the pinion shaft?
Ring-gear different?

How about this,can i use the sure-grip out of the 741 and put it in a 489 case and use the 489 ring and pinion?

I have a rebuild kit for the 489 but the only 489 chunk i have isn't sure-grip :(
Any help would be appreciated. :D

AdamR said:
Yes the sure grips are interchangable.

Thanks Adam that's what i needed to know! :D

I'm gonna weld up the right side qtr. this weekend and then maybe take a break from the body and rebuild the rear in a week or 2.

you just have to use the differential side bearings for a 741/742 if you are using a suregrip from a 741/742

-
Back