8 3/4 cut down

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
OK got a freebie today. An 8 3/4 from a 69 pickup with a 489 sure grip and 3:55 gears. I need to get the housing cut down to go with a set of axels and backing plates . I want this to go in my 68 dart that is still a stock 71/4 set up.

So what size do I get this thing down to and where do the spring perches go?also do I need a differant set of shock mount plates or will the 7 1/4 ones work?

the housing now measures 57" flange to flange.

any help would be great. thanks guys.

I think stock A body is 52" wide.

You'll need 8-3/4 shocl mounts.

Moser can narrow the rear for $80

The 7 1/4 only has 2 1/2" axle tubes and the 8 3/4 uses 3" so you will need the shock mounting plates. Since you're going to have to cut it and get new axles, you might as well go a couple inches narrower. You could also go with the spring relocation or offset hangers if you don't want to cut the car.

Are you going to use those 3.55 gears? I have newer 4.10 richmond gears that I got with my 489 I just bought. I am going to put 3.73 gears in mine. So I am trying to find someone who would need 4.10.

I just want to know where to find feebies like this. :shock: Nice score! :thumrigh:

That center section is worth at least $300. Did it come with the drums too? 10" or 11"?

came with 11" drums. The drums are in pretty sorry shape as it had been sitting in the rain and frozen to the shoes. but its was complete. the center section looks as if its never been out and it still has the 3:55 tag on it.
Im thinking like Craig since I have to have it cut I could go with a short rear but I dont want to do a tub right now, no cash and no job. I have the Axels that I got from Brett when i bought his rear. They are stock lentgh and I have his backing plates that look pretty good.

I think the best deal would be to cut the hosing to stock length and run bretts axels and backing plates. Do a spring relocator and and weld the spring perches in place.

Does anyone have an extra set of shock mounts cheap??? :D

what do I have to do to get her done?? cut the housing to what length? and the perches where??
This will be the first of many chassis questions to come :D :D

thanks guys

Hey Chad,

I think the best idea would be to take it to the local quality machine shop. Take your axel's and the specs for a stock 8.75 "A" body. They will put it in a jig and make the proper cuts and welds and it shouldn't cost any more than $100. Maybe $125 if you get them to weld the spring perchs on.

Jack

If you want to go with the offset hanger and shackle, I got an extra set. I might also have the shock mount. I'll know for sure when I get back to Hawaii on the 3rd. Since you already have the set of axles from Brett, you should just go that route for now. When you get the extra money saved then go the full shortened rear with tubs :twisted: Maybe by that time I'll be settled here in Vegas and might have some vacation time to fly down there and help you :D

If you are going to use stock 5 on 4" axles the housung is 52 5/8" outside housing flange to flange. If you are wanting to go with 5 on 4.5" axles and have the stock track width the housing is 52 1/8"

I thinks thats the best bet Craig. How was your thanks giving. You should have come down here we had a hell of a feast.

thanks guys.

I had thanksgiving dinner with some friend here in Vegas. As soon as I get all moved and settled in here I'll figure out when I can get down to AL. Maybe you could come up here for Mopars at the Strip. Or maybe for the **** Convention :D

-
Back