8 3/4 gear oil

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
All right now:cheers::cheers::cheers:this rear is ready to go in.What kind of rear gear oil should I get,also it is bone dry so how much oil does an 8 3/4 take.Dont want to make an:error:

regular 90 wt gear oil (or 85-90)... IF you have a suregrip, make sure it has the additives in it for that. I believe it is just shy of 2 qts... you put it in till it is to the bottom of the fill plug and it starts running out.... pretty hard to overfill unless you jack the pass side way up and leave the driver side on the ground.

I used Valvolene 75w90 full synthetic. It Think it took 2 quarts and also I put a 4 oz bottle of mopar sure grip additive...Fill it up untill it leaks out of the fill hole, then cap it and your good to go...

If it's the Mopar SG additive I'm thinking of, try not to spill any. My wife was helping me (rear end out of the car and level on jack stands) and she spilled a little. The stink was worse than skunk stink! :toothy10:

Holly stink bat man lol,I will keep that in mind.Ya she is not a SG, just open for now thanks guys.You all answered my question.

if i were you i wouldn't put synthetic oil in your rear. As a mechanic for 35 yr's and i own my own repair shop i kwow of many instances of people using synthetic and ruining there rears. just my observation for what it's worth.

I was always told that if you put synthetic in anything, to stick with the synthetic, that switching back to normal oil will grenade whatever you are putting the oil in....snowmobiles, rearends,engines etc.
Hey Don wheres the pics!!!

-
Back