8 3/4 gears

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
im picking up an 8 3/4 rear end for a guy this weekend,i think it has 293 gears.Another guy has a pumkin with 323 gears . My question is wil the 323 gears smoke the tires? i have a stock 68 318 out of a charger going into my 72 dart. :silent:

That's really a loaded question. Just going from 2.93 gears to 3.23 gears isn't much of a change. If your right on the virge of being able to smoke them right now but can't quite do it I'd say yes but if not I'd say no. A stock 318 in 68 had 230 hp and was a decent running engine but no powerhouse with it's tiny 2 barrell carb and generally single exhaust. Hopefully your running a 904 trans or 4 spd. The 727 will suck power away from your already under-powered engine. To answer your question there's only one way to find out. Put it in and let us know.

i plan on changing the exhaust manifold and getting a 600cfm carb.i havent put in the rearend yet(i have a 7 1/4).the reason i ask is because the 323 pumkin is $40.Will it make any difference?

Not sure what you mean about changing the "exhaust manifold" because a person don't change just one exhaust manifold generally. Maybe you mean the intake manifold since you mentioned the carb too. That will help quite a bit since the stock carb. is so small. Since your changing from a 7-1/4 to an 8-3/4 rearend it's probably a good idea to get those 3.23 gears. You need as much gear as you can to overcome the weight difference your adding with the 8-3/4. It's alot heavier than the 7-1/4 so the lower gears will help make up for pulling around the extra weight. If you don't already have dual exhaust on your car consider that also. You need to let it breath too. Don't go bigger than 2-1/4 pipes though or you'll loose velocity and actually loose power.

-
Back