8 3/4 Rear End Brake Shoe Help

-

FJRdoc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My brother purchased a used 8 3/4 diff. of of a 1969 Formula S Barracuda. I'm in the process of rebuilding the rear. The brake drums and baking plates were removed along with all the brake components.
The old drums measure 10" x 2 1/4" on the inside so that's what I ordered for replacements from RockAuto. Now I'm looking to purchase new brake shoes and I'm not finding rear shoes that are this size. RockAuto lists rear shoes that are 10" x 1 3/4". The only shoes listed that are 10" x 2 1/4" are for front drums.
Can front brake shoes be used in the rear or are there design differences? Should I just order 1 3/4" shoes instead?
This differential will be used as an upgrade from a 7 1/4 unit in his 273 notch. Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Yes. Shoes are shoes no difference from front wheel or rear wheel applications. Dry fit them inside a drum if u need to make sure theyre not too wide for the drum surface.
Upon assembly to the backing plates, just make sure the larger, (or the shoe with more material on it) is mounted on the rear of each side.
If I remember correctly, these are called the secondary shoes, and provide most of the stopping power as they "wrap" when the brakes are activated.
Screenshot_20200701-212430_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Question? What is the bolt pattern on the axles? All "A" body 8 3/4 rears were small bolt pattern (5x4) from the factory, and the rear shoes were 10 x 1 3/4.

This is a five lug 4 inch bolt pattern axle. I saw that it should usually be a one and three-quarter inch drum. It appears that somebody must’ve switched he’s out at one point.

Small pattern brake shoes will not interchange between front and back axles. All 10 inch rear 5 on 4 brakes were 1 3/4 wide. As far as I know no front brakes used that shoe size. The shoes and drums on the 7 1/4 axle will be the same as the ones for the 8 3/4 axle. The backing plates are a little different

I never bothered to measure the rear drum "overall" width. I usually measure the "wear" area. If you are measureing the total width, across the full width from the outer edge to the mounting area, that has to be more the 1 3/4. If you allow a 1/4 inch on the inside, and a 1/4 inch on the outside, that would give you a drum measurement of 2 1/4.

Pretty sure these are the correct brake parts for that rear axle.
Drum: Centric 123.63044
Shoes: Centric 11103310 or Wagner PAB331

FJRDoc,
Want to do yourself and your car "a solid" ?????
Are you going to Chrysler's @ Carlisle next week ????
I have +++ N.O.S. +++ O.E.M +++ MOPAR Brake Shoes and Quality Brake Drums !!!!
FREE Shipping -- I will hand them to you !!!!
Craig --- H107 - H108, right next to the bathroom / showers... Stop on by for MOPAR heaven !!!!!!

That's a generous offer Mobileparts. Unfortunately, I will not be attending Carlisle next week. The drums that I purchased were the Centrics listed above. I'll check on the brake shoe part numbers that were also listed. Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone.

No problem, that's how we all learn.

Just an FYI. For a long time those drums were not available new. Then Centric started making them or fixed the catalog. One of the members on here found them and posted the information. I could be wrong, but I think Centric is the only source.

Centric is your only Chineseum source...
I reproduced them three (3) years before centric's
First made wrong batch,
And five (5) years before they corrected their error...
For five years, I was the only one on the planet...
That was nice.....
But, mine are still better quality, you can see the difference.... Sorry, I could not make the big bells
(Too expensive to make the mold.... Too bad, I could have been everyone's HERO !!!!!!! But the price would have been prohibitive (for most) ).....
Yours, Craig......

For five years, I was the only one on the planet...
That was nice.....
But, mine are still better quality, you can see the difference.... Sorry, I could not make the big bells
(Too expensive to make the mold.... Too bad, I could have been everyone's HERO !!!!!!! But the price would have been prohibitive (for most) ).....
Yours, Craig......

Do you still have them available? I don't need any, right now,but others might. Can you post info/price?

Question? What is the bolt pattern on the axles? All "A" body 8 3/4 rears were small bolt pattern (5x4) from the factory, and the rear shoes were 10 x 1 3/4.
Ok I am pretty sure I've got a 8 3/4 rear end (741) that is 57 1/8" drum to drum, with big bolt pattern?? What is this out of?

So far sounds like an a body but with replacement axles.

What is the spring perch center to center

Post some photos especially of the junction of the housing end to the tube. If it is welded there it is not an oem A Body housing.

Small pattern brake shoes will not interchange between front and back axles. All 10 inch rear 5 on 4 brakes were 1 3/4 wide. As far as I know no front brakes used that shoe size. The shoes and drums on the 7 1/4 axle will be the same as the ones for the 8 3/4 axle. The backing plates are a little different

ehhhh.....the 7 1/4 bake shoe will be the same as long as they are not the smaller 9" shoes. So there's THAT.

Post some photos especially of the junction of the housing end to the tube. If it is welded there it is not an oem A Body housing.
OK I finally got around to pulling out my 8 3/4 from behind a bunch of junk.
It looks as though I was wrong about the bolt pattern. All the measurements added up to an original 8 3/4 out of a a body. Problem was I had purchased a 1976 dart to do a front disk brake conversion, I had removed the spare tire and test fitted it on the 8 3/4 assuming that it was a bbp wheel. As my older brother used to say to me, "see what assumptions do for ya"!

edit now my question is how shall I go about getting this axle adapted for bbp??

rear axle.jpg

-
Back