8 3/4 rearend housing

-

cletus

Cooter's Apprentice
Reaction score
How difficult is it to narrow an 8 3/4 housing from a "c" body to fit a dart using the moser end flanges and axles? I know I will have to practice up with the MIG welder, but how do I figure how much to cut off to get the flanges in the right place for the "a" body axles?
Any information on this subject will help.

Thanks!
-Steve :???:

Steve, the word I've always heard is, never attempt it without a jig. You can do a search on this forum and get info on it as it has been discussed quite a bit. Below is a link to all info you will probably ever want to know about 8 3/4 rears, including dimensions that you will need. Hope this helps. Mike
http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/axle/21.html

I almost did it myself, but having to go to this buddys house to weld it, then to this buddys house...... lack of tools kept me from doing it. It is pretty straight forward( says the guy who didnt do it) This is from moparts tech section under drag racing

Moparts Tech Archive
Drag Racing Tips
Narrowing Rear Axle Housing

Well no link, but thats where you can find it.

You will need a jig to narrow a housing correctly. Not only do the ends need to be square to the housing the ends also need to be exactly inline with the carrier. Being the housings are a pressed item and not a machined tube you just can't line up the ends to the housing and have it be inline. Also the ends should be welded on last after all of the brackets, perches etc are welded on because welding makes steel deflect and distort.

I have both a narrowing jig I purchased (Alston Engineering) and a jig I made from a factory housing just for building a-body width housings that have the spots for the spring perch angle and distance so the pinion offset would be correct.

Being you and I are in Washington (I am in Eastern WA) I could narrow you a housing for $250 and I will supply the housing or $150 and you supply the housing. I use the original ends but if you wanted to use aftermarket ends I would put those on if you supply them. It would cost you less money that way. Freight would only be about $15 each way if you sent your housing.

Chuck

-
Back