8.75 housing ends

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm in the proccess of narrowing my rear housing. Before I do, I noticed Strange sells mopar housing ends sized for the big ford bearings. Would this be worth it if I'm just going to replace the ends anyway? Is there an advantage to using the big 3.150" ford bearing over the 2.875 green bearing?

I still plan on using my mopar brakes, I'm just curious what bearing I should use. Any ideas?

Use the 8 3/4 - dana 60 ends to use your stock brakes. You have to use aftermarket disc brakes to use the big Ford ends.

Thanks, but I already realize that. My question is: Strange makes TWO mopar housing ends. One uses a standard size mopar bearing, and the other uses the bigger 3.150" bearing. Is there an advantage of running the bigger bearing? I've heard mopar green bearings aren't designed to take side loads. Will the bigger bearing take a side load better?

086.jpg

The bigger bearing will carry more load. Being the OD of the bearing is bigger it means the ID is probably also bigger meaning a larger diameter axle. I guessing the later is the main reason for the bigger bearing.

340mopar said:
The bigger bearing will carry more load. Being the OD of the bearing is bigger it means the ID is probably also bigger meaning a larger diameter axle. I guessing the later is the main reason for the bigger bearing.

See, I thought that too. But if you look at this page, it looks like Strange makes a bearing that is meant for a regular sized mopar axle shaft, but has a 3.150 OD for the bigger end. (Look at part # A1021 & A1022) Sounds like it would be a pretty stout set-up for someone wanting to keep their mopar brake set-up.

016.jpg

Sure enough, it that case I guess it would be for the higher load rating of the bigger bearing.

Look at #A1013 for the folks that want to keep their tapered bearings.

-
Back