83/4 CENTER SECTION REBUILD

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Have any of you put together an 8 3/4 center section ? pros & cons Never did this before Never seen it done. Any tips ?

Yes many times!

Be more specific on the case number used and the center section installed. Believe me it matters! Can cause much grief. Pics are very helpful on this subject!

Bunches and a lot of other types too. A LOT. The biggest tip I can give you is regardind setting pinion gear depth. Press the old big bearing off. As long is it's still in decent condition, hone the center of it out until it's a slip fit on the new pinion gear. This makes pulling the bearing right back off very easy as you determine which shim you need to get the depth correct.

I have a set of bearings For 742 cases just for set-up.

One must be careful To make sure the center and case are matched depending on gear choice. I went through a tough deal 2 or 3 years ago with a 742 case and Borg Warner sure grip. Went from 4.56 to 3.55. That case wants the Dana SG center. Most times it is fine until you choose 3.55 gears. My recommendation is to refer to Cass at Dr. Diff before making a determination. I ended up having to shave the pinion head to get clearance to the center for proper pinion depth.

Last edited:
Its a 489 case 3:55 gears I have everything to put it together. From the DOC. I bought the crush sleeve eliminator. I bought the gears & a complete rebuild kit from a guy on market place. Its all new.

Its a 489 case 3:55 gears I have everything to put it together. From the DOC. I bought the crush sleeve eliminator. I bought the gears & a complete rebuild kit from a guy on market place. Its all new.

Sounds like you are good. Have your spanner tool and dial indicator ready and have fun!

what is used to paint the ring gears to check the ring gear & pinion clearance ?

Cass should Have sent that with the gears, bearings and such. Double check.

can use zinc oxide too, its soft, white and paint like but does not dry. Sold as a skin ointment or sunscreen. I set mine up with a dial indicator, a straight edge and a dial caliper. Slide on bearings (clearanced like Rod stated are almost mandatory) I tossed my set up bearings in with the 4.56 set I sold.

-
Back