833 clutch rattle 66 Dodge Dart

-

boatorama

Reaction score
Hi all, last summer I installed a Brewers 10" clutch and EVERYTHING involved brand new. I have had a slight rattle when clutch pedal is out. Today, the noise got quite loud, like holding a stick against a fan blade. Noise increases w/rpms, goes away when I push clutch pedal in 1/2" to !''. Everything is working fine, w/exception of this noise. I had nothing but problems w/this install, and now this... Anyone have any idea's? Thanks

If the noise sounds like a chatter? Most likely the throw out bearing is not totally disengaged from the fingers of the pressure plate? You should be able to adjust out? Can you make it go away by pulling up on the pedal? If so? I'm betting that is it?

I would have to hear it. Mine rattles when in neutral with the clutch out. Apparently a input bearing. The noise goes away when I push in the clutch.

Last edited:
If it’s a diaphram Pressure plate and it has the weights on the fingers...that’s what you are hearing...centrifugal weight rattle. Annoying, but relatively harmless.

If it’s a diaphram Pressure plate and it has the weights on the fingers...that’s what you are hearing...centrifugal weight rattle. Annoying, but relatively harmless.[/QUOTE
If it’s a diaphram Pressure plate and it has the weights on the fingers...that’s what you are hearing...centrifugal weight rattle. Annoying, but relatively harmless.
No, its a 3 finger Borg@Beck pressure plate.
I would have to hear it. Mine rattles when in neutral with the clutch out. Apparently a input bearing. The noise goes away when I push in the clutch.

Toolman, mine goes away too, w/pedal pressed in ever so slightly. also goes away while under acceleration. Like I said, it sounds like holding a stick against fan blades. Rythmic, very loud clatter. In neutral, giving some gas, it gets louder and louder while increasing w/rpm's. After the fits I had w/this install last Summer, [car was off road most of season], I am fit to be tied. If this isn't a "simple' fix, I don't know what I'll do. Can't sell it like this....Like I said before, everything seems to function as it should. This noise is def. not something to be ignored. It got SO much worse today...Thanks for your help, as I recall you helped me on the install last summer, too.

If the noise sounds like a chatter? Most likely the throw out bearing is not totally disengaged from the fingers of the pressure plate? You should be able to adjust out? Can you make it go away by pulling up on the pedal? If so? I'm betting that is it?
Pedal is all the way out to top.

Will get it on a lift and look into it further tomorrow. Thanks everyone for help/suggestions. Once I figure it out, I'll post results.

-
Back