833 Leaking Again

-

bearwolf64

Bearwolf50
Reaction score
I replace the rear seal on my 833, and it is leaking again, without moving the car. Could I have over filled it?

H4
C 99129
H29P9F164315
PP 833 2900 0140
C9912816-2
Left hand side of transmission
C95664-Z (8X13)

Rear seal: TS85-63B Tailshaft Seal, 30 spline.

Thanks
Bear

How full did you fill it? I go to 1/2 inch down from the fill plug. How is the tail shaft bushing?

Are you sure it's leaking from the rear seal?

If you leave the tranny in reverse fluid can leak through the reverse light switch. It us below the fill level and in reverse the ball in the switch is off it's seat and it can leak. Brewers has a replacement switch that has a better seal.

I've seen the seal inside of the slip yoke (pressed in metal plug) that is not tight or incorrectly installed will leak. If it is the slip yoke it will look like a seal leaking.

All

Jaws
I filled it to it started spilling out of the fill hole.
I did not check the tail shaft bushing, the transmisson was rebuilt two years ago.

dgc333

It appears to be dripping off the foward drive shaft york.
I don't leave the transmision in reverse, we use the first and the parking brake.

Demon 48

How do I check the slip yoke?

Thanks
Bear

The condition of the bushing and yoke surface is the most likely cause.

See picture. The yellow arrow is pointing to the metal plug that will leak if it's loose or rusty. Check the yoke in the area where the white arrow is pointing for wear or slight grooves. If the yoke is old the wear on the yoke can cause it to leak where it rides against the bushing and the seal.

Attachments

• Slip Yoke.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 263
CUDAMARK

Does that mean a transmisson pull?

Bear
The bushing can be replaced with the transmission in the car if you have the proper tools. You'll need a bushing puller and a driver to install the new one. You just need to pull the driveshaft and the seal. The bushing puller just slides into the back of the extension housing over the output shaft. If you know someone at a tranny shop, you may be able to borrow one. It's not something you'll find a Sears or Harbor Freight and the cost of a good one would be hard to justify unless you do several of them. You might want to get a price from several shops to see if it's worthwhile to buy the tool or just have them do the job.

Demon 408 and cubamark

Thanks, I will take a look at both. I have an auto hobby shop that can provide me with the tools I need....

Thanks
Bear

-
Back