833 or 833OD (identifying)

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Got an A833 here that came as a package deal with some cars i bought.

It's a 23 Spline 833 with an Aluminum Tail Housing (A-Body style) that i was told was in a '74 Duster.

The 833 came with a '72 340 & matching ('72) Bellhousing & Cast Crank Flywheel. The transmission is pretty rusty (exterior) and looks to have been repainted a few times so the numbers are kind of hard to read. And it doesn't help that it's currently buried under a mountain of parts in the bed of my '48 Dodge.

On the Right Side of the Main Body/Case :

"H3"
"C87622"

On the Tailshaft Housing :

"ACE-00"
"013364A" "6-77" (casting date? June 1977?)

On the Left Side, on the Side Cover :

"C956622"

This is the stamping pad for the info on the tranny and the car it came from.Sand it down and post the info and I can id the unit.What size is the front bearing retainer,is it 5.125 inches or less,measure and post.If its a stamping pad with no numbers at all,its a replacement tranny from the factory that was not stamped.You should have at least the las 8 digits of the VIN and a 17 digit tranny ID number.If the shifter levers are still on the tranny,is 1 up and 1 down? mrmopartech

Attachments

• DSC02182.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 298
One sure way is to actually figure it out.

Your front shift shaft is the 3/4 shaft. You want this in "3rd" gear because 4th is the same straight through gear (4th on a 4 speed and 3rd on an OD.)

BUT 3RD GEAR IS WHAT'S DIFFERENT

So get the box into neutral, then take a wrench, etc, and shift the front shaft CLOCKWISE into 3rd.

Now simply rotate the input ONE turn and see what the output does. If it turns LESS than one turn, it's a 4 speed. If it turns MORE than one turn, it's an OD box.

Here's the Numbers off the Stamping Pad

"G29174"
"PP8332502"

And the front bearing retainer looks to be about 4.50" (measuring tape, my grandfather borrowed my caliper set)

-
Back