833 parts sources

-

Bucky Jones

Reaction score
Brewers or Passon. Any preference? Recommendations? Both seem equally reputable to me?
Replacing everything with new components between the end of the crankshaft to the front of the driveshaft on my 67, 4spd Barracuda Formula S 273. Presently has a 72, 340 and 4 spd. Restoring car to its original configuration except for the bell housing, flywheel and clutch/pressure plate.

Thanx mischiefdart. Would like to get Passon's 5spd. $5k and 12 mounth gestation period!

I've purchased from both. Both very reputable. Brewers deals mostly in stock trans parts where Jamie has branched out into his own aluminum cases/5 speed and such.

I have one of his special A-body aluminum extension housings for the larger 308 bearing. Excellent quality.

I did Jamie's HEMI 4 Speed overdrive conversion last year. Excellent product, top quality & outstanding service even here in Germany. I would recommend Passon to anyone.

As mentioned above by rapom65, if you are looking for stock replacement parts, Brewers Performance. If looking for improved performance parts such as 5-speed stuff, Passon Performance.

With that being said, it's Brewers Performance for me. It's a family business and they are only about 1.5 hours from me. For me it comes down to reputation and actions speak louder than words.

So if the original configuration was a 273-4spd;is the 273 going back in?And why are you thinking 5spd?
To my thinking the word restore carries a specific meaning.
Don't get me wrong, a 5spd is just about the best thing for a small block, especially the smallest of the small

I bought my four speed from Jamie Passon after the original got too crunchy. Nice guy, easy to deal with, shipped fast, packed well.

I'm sure brewer's is good too. I just had Jamie's number closer at hand

Thanx all! I am gonna go with the proper 4 spd AJ and stay as close to the cars pedigree as I can (late 66/early 67. Car was assembled in Mar 67). I'm hearing that I should use the bigger clutch, etc. as the stock pressure plate will start to slip eventually behind the Commando 273...??? I'll use the 340 and its drive train to swap out occasionally.

Probably will get my parts from each company if shipping costs are equal. Boy, what a delima....I am usually choosing between the best of 2 evils.

Thanx all! I am gonna go with the proper 4 spd AJ and stay as close to the cars pedigree as I can (late 66/early 67. Car was assembled in Mar 67). I'm hearing that I should use the bigger clutch, etc. as the stock pressure plate will start to slip eventually behind the Commando 273...??? I'll use the 340 and its drive train to swap out occasionally.

Probably will get my parts from each company if shipping costs are equal. Boy, what a delima....I am usually choosing between the best of 2 evils.

From year 2000 to about 2003/04, I did the powertrain swap twice a year; Taking the 360-4spd out in fall, and stuffing it back in spring, driving a 318 in winter. I would take the 360 apart and see how it was doing. The winter tranny was a 904, the 833, or the O/D or eventually the 3.09low with the GV. 'Course the rear got swapped out too, cuz what good are 4.88s or 4.30s etc, in winter.
I gotta tell you, I am so glad those days are behind me.
My car was born a 68 fb,slant-904. I turned it into a FormulaS clone. I was not interested in it's slanty pedigree.The car had no intrinsic value, so I could pretty much have my way with her.
I guess the point of another long AJ post is that the Swapping thing gets old in a hurry

-
Back