9 1/4 rear end?

-

gniknayrb18

Reaction score
so i had a guy give me this rear end he says its a 9 1/4....he said its a step above an 8 3/4 but a step below a dyna 60

Fitment into an A body is an issue since they did not put that rear into anything small. Late year B bodies got them. Cordoba's Magnum's etc... And trucks. There used today in the big Rams. LA and HEMI engines.

There's also axle replacement in shortening the rear issues. Are you going there?

While a bigger ring gear is stronger, some idiots here will point out that it is a C clip rear. For some this is a problem. There worried about failure. Rare under low power cars.

Not always a sure grip ethier

I have one that came in a Volare and bolts right in the Duster. At least that is what he said it came out of. And he had pretty wide tires on it. It is a sure grip I still have it.

Never seen one in an F/M/J.

They are also in Dakotas, and some with 3.55 or 3.92 SG.

The Dak is possibly the narrowest (except the late B), but is still WAY too wide, even for a B body.

The late B is close to E body and C body size. If that helps.

Thats up to you, when you shorten it you'll have the end options and axles.

What exactly is it that seems to have you on the fence over this, what specific issue is it that you want to know to make a in stone decision ?

well i have a 340 727 combo with an 8 1/4 in my demon right now and it is not sure grip with 2.45 gears so i need something bigger and i got this rear end sitting here with no axles in it so just wondering if it would be more money to shorten or try and find an 8 3/4

Well it would be say, $100 for the ends, say $420 for axles and bearings and then shorten and instal ends labor $300

Now a complete 8.75 could be cheaper or more.

Really depends on you.

Just watch out what year it is, the 9 1/4s in the newer pickup trucks had a lot of problems with breaking, there was a NHTSA investigation into the 9 1/4's that came in RAMs they where failing at highway speeds.

What car is it potentially going in?

Just watch out what year it is, the 9 1/4s in the newer pickup trucks had a lot of problems with breaking, there was a NHTSA investigation into the 9 1/4's that came in RAMs they where failing at highway speeds.

That problem is pinion nuts loosening, and i have seen EVERY make of diff do it. Was or seemed to be more prevalent among the 1500' series dodges though which only used the 9.25

However it was a very simple fix, and if people paid attention that nonsense of rear diffs locking wouldn't happen, but when you see people even here make posts, my ________ makes noise.... yeah well noise means something is coming apart and NEEDS more than just a question on a forum, but yeah, ask a question and just keep using it....

Ok if I don't use it what do you think it would be worth and is the value the same as an 8.75 in the same shape

From Dodge Forum.............

"Limited slip differential...AKA (LSD). Very common issue with the factory Mopar 9.25" LSD is for the Clutch Pack reatiner clips (commonly reffered to as the "c-clips") to wiggle themselves out of the carrier and cause serious damage. In late 2005 Chrysler changed manufactures which beefed up the retainer clips and slowed down the problem; however, it still has been occurring but at a rate much lower than before. This pertans to ALL 9.25" LSD rear-ends that are in 1500's only. Some guys remove them, but over time the clutch packs will move around in the carrier and cause wear/rubbing on the inside. This will wear out the friction discs as well as the inside of the carrier. "

-
Back