9.5 inch Clutch and flywheel, slant to 273

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the 68 and up slant six 9.5 inch 122 tooth flywheel and clutch the same as the 64 to 68 273 122 tooth flywheel and 9.5 inch clutch setup??

Thinking about using a 9.5 inch clutch on a 273 and just wanted to verify i can use slant six stuff on it.

Is the 68 and up slant six 9.5 inch 122 tooth flywheel and clutch the same as the 64 to 68 273 122 tooth flywheel and 9.5 inch clutch setup??

Thinking about using a 9.5 inch clutch on a 273 and just wanted to verify i can use slant six stuff on it.
I think all the 9.5's are the same. If you need something heavier there are scalloped 10" clutches through Brewer. They even have performance clutches for hundreds of horsepower.

The flywheels should have the same crank flange register diameter, but will have a different bolt pattern. I used a 1968-up slant 6 flywheel on my 273, but had to have another hole drilled in the flywheel to have all 6 bolts in place.

FBEBE4A6-6BC3-4226-A2A2-576FF9CB0AC9.jpeg

I think all the 9.5's are the same. If you need something heavier there are scalloped 10" clutches through Brewer. They even have performance clutches for hundreds of horsepower.
the 273 i have probably makes the same or less HP than a rebuilt slant :rofl:

My '66 273 had a 10" clutch. Bought a replacement package, installed it, thought it had problems, so I bought another from Brewer's Transmissions. After a phone call to Brewers about adjustments, I learned it was me who F'd up. I sold the first assembly to a FABO member. The clutch I have now works like a charm, will chirp the tires if I want.
I sold the first one, but here's some pics you could reference to from the sale ad ....

10”-a-body-clutch-like-new-free-to-a-good-home.533719

The same except the flywheel as noted. Also, for what it's worth, you can put a 10" clutch on the slant 6 9.5" flywheel if you use a clutch kit with the right kind of pressure plate. It must have a scalloped pressure plate. In other words, the bolt holes are recessed around the outside diameter of the pressure plate. The Zoom MU1525-1 is one example.

-
Back