9" ford rear end question

-

WCMachine

Reaction score
i recently purchased a 74' duster with a narrowed 9" ford. With the rear tires off the ground and I turn one wheel should the opposite wheel spin in the other direction even with limited slip? It feels as if the axles are locked together and they both rotate in the same direction. I'm wondering if it has a locker or spool. Seems to go down the road fine. Just trying to figure out what's in there. From counting the drive shaft rotation it seems to have around 4:86 gears.

Limited slip would be near impossible to turn by hand. There was an easy test,lets see if i get it right.
In a large open area
Rolling floor jack, under axle on one side,try to drive over a 2x4 with other wheel. That will tell you the condition of the limited slip. Lockers make noise on tight turns on dry asphalt.

If it was a spool you would know it when going around corners. It would be wicked. Also, the spool locks both wheels together so one would not turn in reverse from the other's rotation.

It could easily be a worn out limited slip. As I "may or may not" remember, it can be difficult to tell a Ford limited slip by looking at the pumpkin

The only way to tell what it is by puling the pumpkin. Factory 9" limited are known to not be great other than the ones with Detroit Lockers.

Pretty easy to figure out. Pull the axles and drive shaft and drop the chunk out. Less than an hour and you'll know.

The only way to tell what it is by puling the pumpkin. Factory 9" limited are known to not be great other than the ones with Detroit Lockers.

LOL I rebuilt mine and got it a "bit too tight" and the darn thing scrubs the tires around corners.

If it was a spool you would know it when going around corners. It would be wicked. Also, the spool locks both wheels together so one would not turn in reverse from the other's rotation.
I had a spool in a tubbed , 14x32 , 406 vega,drove it on the street for a couple of yrs. u could tell it, but wasn`t near as bad as people let on. drove it in the rain a couple of times back from work 28 miles each way. more problem from hydro planning the M-T`s than w/ the spool. (Don`t try this at home!) unless u have a lot of experience .

-
Back