#90 BULB LED REPLACEMENT

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
Has anyone found an LED replacement bulb for the courtesy lights in the rear interior panels? I'm working on a 68 Dart convertible and I'm replacing all the interior lights with LED. The stock bulb # is 90 for the rear courtesy lights. I'm running into a problem finding a bulb that will work.

Problem #1. Most of the replacement #90 LED bulbs I'm finding use the bulbs "case/base" for a ground. Both of the contacts on the bottom of these bulbs are +. The bulbs need to be +- on the contacts to work in this application.

Problem #2. You are limited to a really short bulb since the bulb has to fit inside the glass "dome" that clips into the rear interior panels. I bought some bulbs that are the correct +- on the contacts but they are too tall to fit inside the dome.(they are 1/4" too tall)

If I can't find a bulb that fits, I thought about trying to make a spacer to fit on the back side of the glass dome...to space the taller bulb out so it will work.

Here's an update on the BA15D to wedge bulb adapter. I ordered them and they showed up today. They came from Utah and not over seas like the listing said.

Sorry these pictures are blurry but they still give you an idea on how these will work. I have a new M&H tail light harness that includes 1 of the courtesy lights. The second courtesy light is part of an original harness that has to be reused. The new socket is slightly different in shape then the original one. The adapter bulb fit the "new" socket perfectly. The adapter didn't fit the "original" socket without some modification. The perimeter of the plastic "wedge" socket is wider then the metal socket base. I had to sand the plastic so that it was the same width as the metal base. With that mod done, the adapter fit into the original bulb socket. However, the socket wouldn't fit into the glass "dome". The "fingers" that hold it to the "dome" were hitting the adapter and wouldn't compress enough to be installed into the "dome". A little adjustment to the "fingers" with a pair of pliers is all it took.

The wedge bulbs I used are a very short COB style LED. The standard LED wedge bulbs are still too tall to fit inside the "dome".

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

-
Back