90 degree adapter leak

-

A body Jim

Reaction score
Finishing up my first project, 360 commando into my 1969 dart and can’t stop oil Leah at the bolt head. Tried various gasket kits from almost everyone who sells them, including a new bolt as well. Tharen the adapter of and even filed the surface the bolt tightened to and still leaks.I don’t see any evidence of the housing being cracked. Am I missing something to mounting the adapter?

There's a particular way those gaskets go on. I cannot remember what it is. @toolmanmike has posted a diagram several times maybe he will chime in. I know if they aren't in the right place, it'll leak like a ***** on payday.

A 360...Commando?
Do you possibly mean Magnum?
If it is a Magnum block, I don't believe the early 90* adapters will seal due to different machining in the filter boss.

A 360...Commando?
If it is a Magnum block, I don't believe the early 90* adapters will seal due to different machining in the filter boss.
That's right. Magnum and LA are not the same there. I bet that's what it is.

A 360...Commando?
they'll seal up on a magnum.

unless there's a difference on the early 90* adapters that is not present on the later 90* units.
(besides the angle of the dangle IRT the filter)

Order of assembly

1723837963563.jpeg

They are different somehow. @4spdragtop knows all about it.

Thanks Rob, youre right, you can't mix n match an LA block and Magnum filter plate or vice versa. I installed a magnum plate on my 340....Exxon Valdez...thankfully it was still on stand.

filter plate correct, does differ from LA to magnum.

but we're talking about 90* adapter which, again, to my knowledge there's no difference betwixt the early and late units, or MP units, except for the angle of the oil filter (one kicks straight, one has more of an angle) and naturally the difference of bolts; however we've covered that topic in a previous episode.

the 90* mounts to a magnum no problems

The 90* adapter base mimics the filter plate in mounting depths of the center boss and outer gasket surfaces, the LA and Magnum plates are different for a reason- due to the differences in the ways the Magnum and LA are machined at the filter. I got a 90 to seal on a Magnum by cutting my own gaskets of different thicknesses (thinner inner gasket and way thicker outer, IIRC, and lots of goop) to make up for the discrepancy, but it didn't last long, maybe 500 miles if I was lucky. I ended up throwing the stock plate back on it and ran a shorty filter...
To my knowledge all the 90* adapters are the same, inasmuch as they are for LAs- I don't believe there were any specifically made for the Magnums.

Last edited:
A 360...Commando?
Engine was bought in 93 from year one, have the paper work when purchased. Now I can only guess it’s a LA engine cus it the spec sheet didn’t come with and did find searching the web everything points to a 360/360 and purchase paperwork shows that.

Engine was bought in 93 from year one, have the paper work when purchased. Now I can only guess it’s a LA engine cus it the spec sheet didn’t come with and did find searching the web everything points to a 360/360 and purchase paperwork shows that.
The adapter was on the engine when started b4 I bought it. Long story with that.

filter plate correct, does differ from LA to magnum.

but we're talking about 90* adapter which, again, to my knowledge there's no difference betwixt the early and late units, or MP units, except for the angle of the oil filter (one kicks straight, one has more of an angle) and naturally the difference of bolts; however we've covered that topic in a previous episode.

the 90* mounts to a magnum no problems
Good information, thanks! With this now trying to learn, I have bought gasket kits that either use I cork gasket or nylon for the inner bolt seal. Does that seal between the base where the bolt threads to the inside of adapter? I have used both and still seeping at the bolt, base gasket has been ok.

Cam, crane 1.5 roller rockers and M1 hi rise intake definitely matched info found.‍♂️

Good information, thanks! With this now trying to learn, I have bought gasket kits that either use I cork gasket or nylon for the inner bolt seal. Does that seal between the base where the bolt threads to the inside of adapter? I have used both and still seeping at the bolt, base gasket has been ok.
Hmmm,,,, the filter is straight back without any angle?

-
Back