904 acting strange when hot

-

Payy

Reaction score
Hi guys.
As I recently started driving my Dart on a regular basis (wich means half an hour drive x 2 to school 4 times a week) And on the way home I have to drive uphill for a while almost at the end of the drive.
And while doing it the gearing starts to act wierd. It seems like the converter is somewhat confused and is slipping a bit and can't decide witch gear to put it in, and then constantly shifting and slipping.
I have a lokar kick-down wire on a edelbrock carb. btw. Think it's pretty good adjusted now but can't say it a 100% for sure :)

It seems like I only have this problem while the engine/trans is hot and the engine has to work a little.

Any ideas?

-Payy

sounds like the direct clutches are goin out. if it's slippin, the damage is done. ain't no amount of kickdown adjustment gonna help it. misadjusted kickdown won't make one slip. It will however cause the trans to shift into high prematurely and that WILL cause it to slip eventually. it puts too much load on the high gear pack too soon and burns up the direct clutches. high gear is always the first to go with a misadjusted kickdown.

I'll keep on adjusting the wire untill I can say for sure it's ok or not :)
Note: Its only acting like this when it's hot. And the main thing is not the slipping, but the way it just can't seem to decide wich gear to choose, and sort of slipping while constantly shifting :S

I think Stroker is right. It sounds like it's time for a rebuild. A worn out trans. will do exactly what you describe. When a clutch pack is worn out it sees it and tries to swap to another gear. This builds heat which thins the fluid causing it to loose even more pressure so the clutches slip more so the problem only gets worse the hotter it gets.

-
Back