904 Clutch Clearance and Shift Kit

-

Dodge72

Odd one out
Reaction score
Sorry for the extra topic, but this is a totally different question. We'll, more like verification for the rookie.

Built me a 904 to go on the back of my basically stock rebuilt 360. I was told that this came out of a 70 E body. Anyways, I used Oregon Performance Transmissions "HP" rebuilt kit with all the goodies. Originally the old tolerances for the trans were good, just the front clutch burned up.

It came with 062" red raybestos clutches (all of them the same thickness) and 069" steels. The rear clutch clearance came out to around 032". The front clutch has a tolerance of .116". I'm going to say that is because my friction plates are all the same thin material. For the rest of the trans, I have 4 pinion planetaries and everything else is stock.

Per factory spec these are fine, are they going to be fine when I install a TF-2 shift kit? I read somewhere on my searching that because of the higher pressures that the kit produces that being on the looser side might be a good thing.

One last thing : the air check. Got me a cheapo pancake air compressor and performed the air checks, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for as abnormal. So! Here's a video of my air check!

Please note that I kinda screwed up on first testing the front clutch assembly. Trying to move the phone around resulted in me not sealing the passageway entirely. I corrected it and repeated the front clutch at the end to make sure I sealed off that port with my air gun.

The rear clutch makes a much louder thud than the front clutch. Normal? Also, is the air bleeding out when holding the gun in the passageway normal or not? I did replace both piston inner and outer seals. I tried to remove the air gun quicker once the circuit was pressurized and each time, the bands snapped back to resting position and the air quickly "puffed" back out of the same passageways.

This was long and most likely boring lol, sorry! But I've never even gone beyond servicing a trans, let alone rebuild one before and I want to make sure everything is correct before heaving it back up into the car. I appreciate all feedback, thank you!

Sound okay. I don't set them that tight or that loose. What's your end play like? It's just that the direct drum doesn't look quite all the way engaged with the sun gear shell tangs...maybe it's just me.

I would install a thicker snap ring in the front drum. U could also put another steel above the piston to remove some clearance. With 4 clutches u want about .060 clearance with the -2 kit. Also the front drum is not back far enough into the sun shell. How much end play do u have? Kim

Thicker clutch are available also.... think they are .086

I would install a thicker snap ring in the front drum. U could also put another steel above the piston to remove some clearance. With 4 clutches u want about .060 clearance with the -2 kit. Also the front drum is not back far enough into the sun shell. How much end play do u have? Kim
This is how mine looks, I just put it together.

20200831_190002.jpg

looks really good !
Thanks,
I posted that pic. For the o.p.
To look at hers for comparison.
If you pull the sun shell forward with your hand it will move a little bit more closing up the gap a bit.
The deep notches in the sun shell makes you think it's not all the way on.
At least that's what I thought and pulled it back out to make sure all four frictions were lined up, they were..
Good job Dodge72
It's very rewarding doing the work yourself!

Last edited:
Thanks,
I posted that pic. For the o.p.
To look at his for comparison.
If you pull the sun shell forward with your hand it will move a little bit more closing up the gap a bit.
The deep notches in the sun shell makes you think it's not all the way on.
At least that's what I thought and pulled it back out to make sure all four frictions were lined up, they were..
Good job Dodge72
It's very rewarding doing the work yourself!

Yes Sir it is !! I’ve been building transmission for years ! All makes model and so on ! Very rewarding ! Good luck in your build !

It's hell on wheels when a girl does somethin a lot of guys are scared of. You're a hell of a gal, Katie!

I bet the input shaft won't even turn. I see shiny places on the shell from the drum; where it was together further before.

-
Back