904 HELP needed

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I have been having a few problems with my 904.

Here is the heads up I had the transmission built about 7 months ago by a well known work shop. About 6 months ago it started to leak fluid from the bell housing I took it back to them they said that it's a 99% chance that it had craked the front pump drive on the converter. So I went home & removed the trans once out I looked at the converter it was fine by eye so I took the trans & converter back to the work shop were they found the front punp bush/bearing was worn on the right side & the weld around the nose of the converter had started to crack.

Long story short they replaced the bush/bearing repaired the converter & gave it back to me. Telling me that the trans had an aliginment problem when I ask them how they could fix it they looked at me dumb founded saying they didn't know& had never had to do this before.

So trans is back in & 2 weeks later it's leaking again so I remove the trans yet again (not happy as you can imagine) as I have spent a small fortune on this trans. This time they can't find anything wrong. They are still telling me it has an aliginment problem which by now I have found a factory work shop manual which tells you how to go about aligining the trans to the engine. They are now telling me to get another transmission cast & to swap all the good bit from 1 to the other.

Any help to shed some light on this problem would be much appreicated.
Thanks in advance Ozcuda

Sounds pretty logical that could be the problem. However, i've yet to personally try and fix one myself. How is your flexplate? Perfect? Bent in any way, anything behind it, washer or something? Do you have your dowel pins still in the block for the transmission? How are your engine/trans mounts?

Sounds pretty logical that could be the problem. However, i've yet to personally try and fix one myself. How is your flexplate? Perfect? Bent in any way, anything behind it, washer or something? Do you have your dowel pins still in the block for the transmission? How are your engine/trans mounts?

G'day Mike

Yeah I know it sounds logical. first thing I checked was the flex plate then the dowels & dowel holes in the trans all mounts are only 6 months old & in good condition.

Thanks Graham

Ozcuda said:
They are still telling me it has an aliginment problem which by now I have found a factory work shop manual which tells you how to go about aligining the trans to the engine.

You said this shop rebuilt your trans. Are you certain you got back the original trans (if they do alot of trans it is possible they gave you a rebuilt but not neccesarily the one you brought them, it is possible) / OR is this a transmission you sourced from else where {salvage yard, other car you owned, buddy}? Is this the original trans to this engine. If it isn't, then there could be alignment issues, you should have checked that when swapping (if thats the case).
You have answered your own question, you just havn't realized you have the answer.
If the shop your using dosn't know how to align the trans input shaft centerline to the crank centerline, then find a different shop or do it yourself. (If your capable).
Follow your service manuals (which book do you have, btw, please?) instructions for aligning (and any other repairs/inspections for trans) and you should solve your problem.

You said this shop rebuilt your trans. Are you certain you got back the original trans (if they do alot of trans it is possible they gave you a rebuilt but not neccesarily the one you brought them, it is possible) / OR is this a transmission you sourced from else where {salvage yard, other car you owned, buddy}? Is this the original trans to this engine. If it isn't, then there could be alignment issues, you should have checked that when swapping (if thats the case).
You have answered your own question, you just havn't realized you have the answer.
If the shop your using dosn't know how to align the trans input shaft centerline to the crank centerline, then find a different shop or do it yourself. (If your capable).
Follow your service manuals (which book do you have, btw, please?) instructions for aligning (and any other repairs/inspections for trans) and you should solve your problem.

I brought the trans off E bay & had it rebuilt. I have been & seen & talked to at least half a dozen trans shops non of them have been able to help with aligning the trans they recon it's something they have never done. & none of them have the tools to do it. Which is my problem besides having to pull the trans down to do the alignment. I'm still ringing around looking for somebody who can aligin the trans. I have the full set of Chrysler work shop manuals for 1965.

I would think there is a way to take measurements on the bellhousing and engine separtely since they both have bolt holes and alginment dowels. Not sure how accurate you can get with that method but, I can't think of any other way to check it.

Has your motor been line bored? This can, depending on how much was removed from the block cause a mis-alignment. The only true way to check the trans alignment is to attach a dial indicator to the crank and have it contact the front pump machined opening (or bellhousing opening w/ manual trans) and rotate the crank and see how much variance there is all the way around. If there is to much variance then you need offset bushings in the block. You turn these offset one way or the other and keep checking the out of center until the dial indicator reads the same all the way around. It can be a little out of center line but I don't remember how much is allowed.

Chuck

rotate the engine with the flex plate bolted on and observe it. Is it wobbling? If so, maybe a bent flange on crank or bent flexplate.

A bend crank or flexplate would cause the pump bushing to wear all the way around. He is getting wear on only one side of the bushing which means the crank centerline is offset from the trans centerline.

Chuck

Thanks guy's,

I have had this motor for about 6 years with out any problems befroe until it was mated to this trans. according to the factory manual you strip the trans mount a dail indicator on the back of the crank turn the motor by hand then get offset dowels to rectify the misalignment. Sounds easy but who has the equipment to do it not me & it seems most trans shops don't as they remove rebuild & replace the original trans 99.9% of the time.

-
Back