904 kickdown linkage question (swapping early (65) to later 904

-

Litz

Reaction score
I'm thinking about swapping my cable shifted 904 ball and trunion trans (1965 273 Valiant) to a later 904 trans and was wondering if the early kickdown linkage will work with the later trans? Also is there any difference between the early and later crankshafts? Thanks, Litz

yes the crank registers are different, and the spline count at trans is different too so the torque convertors are different. Custom adapter like convertors are available. Funny this is the 3rd or 4th time this came up in as many weeks.
The throttle pressure linkage can be adjusted to work but since that model bell crank dangles off the back of the head and the linkage does not have fail safe free throttle return slot, I wouldn't have it.
It was changed for safety reasons. Many early a owners do ignore this.

yes the crank registers are different, and the spline count at trans is different too so the torque convertors are different. Custom adapter like convertors are available. Funny this is the 3rd or 4th time this came up in as many weeks.
The throttle pressure linkage can be adjusted to work but since that model bell crank dangles off the back of the head and the linkage does not have fail safe free throttle return slot, I wouldn't have it.
It was changed for safety reasons. Many early a owners do ignore this.
I guess I'll keep the old 904. It works fine and maybe I can get west coast convertors to modify my converter.

you can upgrade to a 66-67 904 and it'll fit. It wasn't until 68 when the crank register and spline count changed. I'm not familiar with the early kickdown linkage but it sounds like Redfish is and he says it's different. That's easy to overcome though with either a Lokar or Bouchillion cable setup.

you can upgrade to a 66-67 904 and it'll fit. It wasn't until 68 when the crank register and spline count changed. I'm not familiar with the early kickdown linkage but it sounds like Redfish is and he says it's different. That's easy to overcome though with either a Lokar or Bouchillion cable setup.
Thanks for the reply/info.

-
Back