904 kickdown problem

-

GotDart

Reaction score
Can someone explain the correct kickdown adjustment procedure for me? One caveat, I don't have the stock pushrod linkage. I am using an aftermarket high-rise throttle bracket and Lokar kickdown cable setup.

2004681098449564617373.jpg

Also, no matter how I set the adjustment, the trans acts differently from time to time. What I mean is, for a given adjustment setting, sometimes it behaves fine. On gradual acceleration it shifts 1-2 and then a few seconds later 2-3. Then if I'm cruising in 3rd and mash the gas it will downshift.

However, the next time I gradually accelerate I get a firm 1-2 and then it just stays in second. If I accelerate past a certain speed it finally does a 2-3 shift. Then if I start to slow down, at some speed the trans downshifts back to 2nd. It will stay like this for a while, and then all of a sudden it 'fixes' itself.

I suspect either the kickdown cable is binding or there is something not working right in the trans. What pulls the throttle lever on the transmission back to the 'normal' position? There is no spring down there, so is it something inside the trans case? Maybe the line pressure pushes it back?

Well I checked out the cable, and I don't think that's the problem. I can easily push the end of the cable in and pull it back out, there is no binding at all. What is supposed to pull that kickdown arm back at the transmission? If I disconnect the cable, I can move that arm to any position, and it just stays there.

Your kickdown moves from front to back as the throttle opens. I dunno how the Lokar cable is setup but the one I use from Bouchillion performance, has a return spring that pulls it back forward when you let off the throttle. Someone told me to adjust it properly you look down between engine and the firewall and adjust it so they open together. I found it got it pretty close but after a test drive I had to tweak it a little so it was perfect.

Mopardude wrote:
I dunno how the Lokar cable is setup but the one I use from Bouchillion performance, has a return spring that pulls it back forward when you let off the throttle.

The Lokar cable has a bracket that attaches to the trans tailshaft. The cable loops around and pulls the lever on the trans back as the gas pedel is pressed down. You can see from the pic I posted how the carb end is set up. I think the return spring that you talk about might be just what I need. What is it attached to on your setup?

On my setup one end attaches to a special washer and the other to the shift kickdown lever. Actually I think the cable I got came with a new lever that allows a spring to attach easy. The special washer end attaches to wear the stock shift linkage pivots on the tranny. So that when you let of the throttle it pulls the lever forward so that it is closed.

-
Back