904 Linkage seems off?

Transmission and Drivetrain Tech

1. briwill70

briwill70 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:59 PM
    Rebuilt my 904 and added a shift kit. The new valve body plunger came with instructions on how to align with the shift mechanism. Everything is back together and the car goes down the road and shifts nicely but a couple of issues. The kickdown linkage is connected but does not downshift when I put the pedal down. If I manually put it in second it downshifts but when I put it back in drive it stays in second. The other day it stalled coming off a light so I put in neutral and restarted and the car lurched backwards like reverse was engaging. Is the valve body plunger the issue?

2. oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:59 AM
    It’s a definite possibility. Is the linkage engaging each gear detent properly? Check the linkage with a helper. Kim

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. briwill70

Local Time:
    Not sure how I would check that. It's a cable shift system and not really visible from outside the trans.

4. oldkimmer

Local Time:
    If ur underneath with ur hand on the lever u can feel it click into each position. Kim.

5. briwill70

Local Time:
    Unfortunately there is no lever. It's a 65 cable shift. Cable goes directly into trans housing. No way to see what's happening in there.

6. oldkimmer

Local Time:
    Then u will have to take the pan off to check it. U want it to be right so u don’t end up destroying the tranny. Kim

7. Slantsix64

Slantsix64 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Yup, the gear selector cable has a bolt you loosen it and spin the gear adjusting the cable, pan must be off and have some one change the gears while you under seeing it actually en gauge in all gears PRND21 your probably adjusted off so your not getting D when selecting it on the gear selector no biggie you got this!

• Like Like x 1
    • briwill70

Local Time:
      I pulled the pan and appears the problem is in the column shift mechanism. Shifting from P-R-N-D-2-1 everything lines up but going in the other direction there is a lot of slop. From 1-2there is no movement and from D-N it does not shift out of D and does not go into R until almost in P. I pealed back the boot around the shift mechanism in the column but impossible to see what's going on in there.

Also found another issue that may or may not be related. When I pulled the pan there is a dark film on the bottom of the pan that looks a lot like burnt clutch material and I've only driven about 40 miles : (

• briwill70

Local Time:
      Anyone have experience with this kinda slack in the column shift mechanism?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.