904 Lock-up Questions

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I have a 904 out of an 85 318 car that has the lock-up transmission in it. I have a couple of questions about it.

1. How much HP is it good for in stock form?
2. I have hear MP sells a higher stall TQ, is this correct? And what stall?
3. Approximate Mileage gain of lock up vs. non-lock-up?

I may end up making a hybrid out of it to mate it to my standard 904 and keep the lower gearset, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks as always, ROB

One more question, is there anything special about installing it in a earlier car? I know it will physically interchange, but is there any extra wiring/ linkage?

Anyone???

Thanks as always, ROB

1. How much HP is it good for in stock form?
If it is in good health, I'd stop pushing the envolope around 270 HP. Only because it is an '85 with miles. Getting old, why push it. Some bolt on's and a cam could exceed that. Easy does it.
2. I have hear MP sells a higher stall TQ, is this correct? And what stall?
They advertise 3 in the catolog IIRC, they range from 1800-2200, 2200- 2400 and a S/Stip unit like 2500-2800 type area. Sorry, exact figures not infront of me. But thats is the ingeneral stall brackets. (You know a converters stall changes with the amount of power put into it right? OK, Just checking.)
3. Approximate Mileage gain of lock up vs. non-lock-up?
3% - %5 depending on gear set and other factors. %5 being everything in your fav. You still could exceed that.

I just got the news today that it is looking like Mr.Duster is going to become more of a DD next year.

Not a bad thing, a good thing!

It does however mean that any build for the time being is going to have to be a balanced thoughtful combo with a leaning towards praticality.

Now back to the issue of the trans. I would imagine that even a modest build-up with me 318 will be pushing it.

I can drive 55 mph and save the 3 percent. I am not real big on the idea of breakage.

Thank you for your time, ROB

-
Back