904 shift kit spring issue

-

briwill70

Reaction score
Just rebuilt my 904 and was adding shift kit mods to the valve body. Instructions indicate a different converter valve spring (photo attached) as my valve matches the 2 plunger style in illustration. Installed the yellow spring per the instructions. It is stiffer but substantially shorter than the one I removed. Does not seem right to me because it does not come in contact with the plunger. Has about 1/8 inch slack between the spring and metal bracket. First, what does the converter valve do? Second, does this seem right? I'm tempted to just put the stock one back on the valve.

IMG_8428.jpg

Yes I had the same thing with doing my shift kit.

Yellow spring did not fit up right, put the stock spring back in and worked just fine. Even says on the sheet reuse stock spring.

Biggest things was adjust the PR valve as they suggest, put their new piston plunger in, do the drilling and filing on the valve body as they say. The drilling on the separater plate I went conservative as I did not want the hard pounding shifts when it was done.

Mainly wanted the kit in there so the pump pumps in Park and Neutral at the same time to fill the torque converter, and it helps eliminate the drain back too.

Very happy with the results, shifted real nice too . . no surprises.

20200306_014809.jpg

20200306_014903(0).jpg

I've installed a lot of TransGo shift kits in various types of transmissions, and many of them had vague or confusing instructions. I wouldn't want the valve in there floating around. And I didn't notice much difference in the shift once I got past .125 on the holes. I think the kit that drills out the partition bypasses the 1-2 hole anyway.

-
Back