904 Slippage

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I just took my Demon to the local AAMCO for an "in car reseal" on the 904 torqueflite. They did a great job sealing everything, took care of a few dings in the pan, installed my new speedo cable, and all is dry as a bone now.

Problem is that it shifted perfectly when I took it in, and now it slips when it goes from second to third........first to second is solid as a bear, but into third and it races for a split second and engages.

Could this be a simple band adjustment or something? Seems funny that it worked fine when it went in (I know, you've all heard that before....but it's accurate).

Give me a pointer here........I'd hate to schedule a rebuild if I don't need it. Something seems a bit screwy.

Thanks for the tips........... Doc

Now this sounds like a classic case of misadjusted throttle pressure. Not enough to be precise. Make sure the throttle pressure linkage is extended all the way towards the rear of the car at wide open throttle. Do this while the engine is not running BTW.

I had the same thing happen to me before on my trucks first transmission. In my case the trans had a lot of miles and the fluid hadn't been changed regularily. The clutch material in the fluid kept the clutches engaged good enough, but when the fluid was drained, so went the clutch engagement. How many miles does your trans have? If it fits the above scenario, you might be looking at a rebuild. If you kept the fluid changed and the trans is relatively low miles, then maybe the band adjustment was done wrong.

what you are feeling is the band releasing, and the clutches grabbing, or not... the kickdown band might need an adjustment, and as stated above, you need to look at the kickdown pressure, but your probably looking at a rebuild... the clutches wear pretty fast when it slips like that.

-
Back