904 tail seal

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
I am having much trouble trying to find the tailshaft seal (the seal the driveshaft yoke rides in). Trans is a 904, I do not know the specific year, but I’m told it is a “later” model. Everything I find is to large O.D. Has anybody else had trouble finding this seal? Thanks for all help!

Just went thur the same thing. Per another member tried A & A Transmission ( around Indy ). Would be willing to bet they have what you need.

I’ll try the tomorrow, are they in the phone book, or would you happen to have their number? Why is such a popular trans so hard to find a seal for?

I have a 64 Dart with a 904 pushbutton trans and I got a rear seal from Northwest Transmission Parts in Winchester OH 937-442-2811

Here are the seals that I know about for the 904 readily available from your loal NAPA or other seal source:

EARLY 904 P/B - CHRY#2462848 National seal 472466 Group 62405
1.498 ID 2.052 OD .375 wide

904 w/ slip yoke CHRY# 2400163 National Seal 8935S Group 62689
1.558 ID 2.515 OD 1.52 OA Wide

904 w/ slip yoke Chry# 4058047 National seal 2506 (Napa ATP14982) Group 62687
1.558 ID 2.376 OD 1.50 OA Wide

If it's not one of these, measure the OD of the sealing surface on the yoke and the extension housing diameter and post back.

Jack up the car and find out what year trans it is...I got mine from napa and its a quality seal too!

Napa seals were no good either. I went to a specialty trans shop here in town, and the number on the original seal was crossed to a freggin Nissan Maxima wheel seal! I have no idea how or why, this is, but it fits. One of the sizes grim reaper posted was close, but not spot on. Thanks for the help everybody!

Napa seals were no good either. I went to a specialty trans shop here in town, and the number on the original seal was crossed to a freggin Nissan Maxima wheel seal! I have no idea how or why, this is, but it fits. One of the sizes grim reaper posted was close, but not spot on. Thanks for the help everybody!

What year Maxima front wheel seal did you use. I am having a similar problem, I can get a seal that fits the trans but won't fit my slip yoke shaft, and I can find one that fits my shaft but not the trans...but can't find the correct combination. ( 74 Duster slant six ) Thanks, Rick

You should be able to read the year of the housing,it has a date embossed on it,if it is prior to 70,the seal is a different size,I ran in to that problem before,I gotone of those jumkyard paint pens so I can mark my cores.

I’m not sure of the year of the Nissan. The number on the seal didn’t cross at any local parts house, except at the trans shop I went to. The number on the seal is 63703 or the last digit might be an 8, hard to read. The name of the trans shop I went to is Whatever it takes, in Tulsa ok. Their number is 918-948-6901. You might be able to call them and see if they could help you on the correct year. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

-
Back