904 Transmission Fluid Recommendation

-

darc1722

Reaction score
Just had my 904 transmission rebuilt with a shift kit and a 2600 stall converter. My 318 is rebuilt putting out 325 HP, I'm looking for trans fluid help. I'm thinking AMSOIL ATF, they also have a Super Shift Race Fluid. Anyone have experience with either brand or a different type. Not planning on racing the car just local shows and a road trip or two. Thanks

There was a lot of testing and minds being changed concerning the right type of fluid during the earlier Torqueflite years. Yes, the book and the dipstick quite often said Dexron. There was at least one TSB that settled it all.

Never, ever use Dexron in a TF. No Dexron of any type or variety, even with additives.

ATF+3 is not made anymore, another TSB replaced it with ATF+4 for all TFs.

I have always used castrol atf-4 never had any problems.

Never, ever use Dexron in a TF. No Dexron of any type or variety, even with additiv
es.

i know some guys like to run type F but i have never ever heard not to run dextron. sounds like BS to me.

been running dextron in my transmissions for 20 years now and have never had a problem..

Just had my 904 transmission rebuilt with a shift kit and a 2600 stall converter. My 318 is rebuilt putting out 325 HP, I'm looking for trans fluid help. I'm thinking AMSOIL ATF, they also have a Super Shift Race Fluid. Anyone have experience with either brand or a different type. Not planning on racing the car just local shows and a road trip or two. Thank

whats your trans builder recommend?

..............Dexron is it , recommended since they came out......atf+4 has different additives and is made for newer trans, 2000 model year and up...............kim........

Never, ever use Dexron in a TF. No Dexron of any type or variety, even with additives.
This is probably misconstruing the ATF+ requirement starting with the Ultradrive electronic transmissions. Prior to that Chysler was all Dexron. Sometime in the early 90s the new electronically controlled Chrysler transaxles began using a different friction material in the clutches which required the "+" fluid. Some shops took to using Dexron with Lubeguard Black as a substitute, even some dealers because that was all they had in stock. You could tell which ones they were by the number of minivans parked in the lot out back. It didn't work very well.

ATF+ is backward compatible with the TF's and Chrysler released a TSB saying so to get everyone on the same page. But they will run a little hotter. Dexron is better for the torqueflight. New DEX VI is best - full syn.

Castrol DEX IV - full syn, thats what my trans builder reccomends, and that is what I have in my 727. JMO

Ran dex and ford for 35 years, no problem. Turbo Action says dex 3, and it really doesn't matter, as long as it is name brand.

awhile back i used B&M trick shift you could use it with regular trans fluid or use just that i used just that my trans seemed to love it

Transmission in the Dart was about worn out when I got it. Finally got to install a new 904 yesterday, filled er up with Dextron III, which was recommended. Have never run anything but Dextron in 904's and 727's. Not saying the others won't work but just saying what I have used over the years.

Dexron III or Type F. If the car sees limited use or isn't being raced regularly, you wont really see the advantages of using synthetic fluids. The specialty fluids sold by TCI, B&M, T/A etc.are more of a gimmick than anything else. Type 4 fluids(dex4, Mopar ATF-4 etc.) have a friction modifier added to them that is intended to provide softer smoother shifts(contrary to shift kit equipped cars). Any ATF can be used in any transmission without causing damage. It will only change, if at all, the shift firmness. The only exception is fluids designed for CVTs which are a different animal. The auto manufacturers started to recommend type 4 ATFs a few years back to 1) soften the feel of the shifts. 2)To mantain the quality of the ATF that was being put into transmissions that were failing under warranty. No ATF can overcome short comings in product design. 3)The manufacturers were all competing to advertise lower cost of ownership throughout a vehicles lifetime & thus extended the recommended fluid change intervals. They believe they can achieve this with the use of synthetic fluid.
I've used type F in my cars for decades & like the way it shifts. NEVER had any problems. I have used it in vehicles with conventional coverters, race converters & even lock-ups with no problem. I change it every 30,000 miles regularly. It's cheaper than synthetic but a little less available.

I use the Amsoil ATF in my 2004 Dodge diesel 3500 dually and their SuperShift in my race car. The SuperShift has the firmer shift/frictional qualities of a Type F. Less slippage, less heat. My trans builder said to keep using whatever I'm using in my race car when I do bring the trans in for freshening. But synthetics are much more resistant to heat, which is the number one cause of transmission failures. If you do any "spirited" driving or drive in hot climates, lean towards synthetics.

Amsoil source & additional info: www.thelubepage

Why would that be? Please explain. :sign3:

I'm sure there are people that can provide more details, but if I may.....

As transmissions got newer and especially when computer controls started to be used, transmission fluids were designed to work specifically with the new designs, which vary in how hard or soft they shift, the holding/friction properties and any other factors that may apply. Viscosities also vary between transmission fluids. The wrong fluid fluid can affect how a trans shifts and can lead to shorter life, whether it be from shifting/grabbing too hard and breaking parts to slippage, heat and burning up the bands and clutches. Transmission fluids are a very complicated product. I hope there are some trans techs that can provide more info.

had 3 other mechanics besides the tranny builder told me to use Dexron. No problem here. Besides it's affordable and it works.

I'm sure there are people that can provide more details, but if I may.....

As transmissions got newer and especially when computer controls started to be used, transmission fluids were designed to work specifically with the new designs, which vary in how hard or soft they shift, the holding/friction properties and any other factors that may apply. Viscosities also vary between transmission fluids. The wrong fluid fluid can affect how a trans shifts and can lead to shorter life, whether it be from shifting/grabbing too hard and breaking parts to slippage, heat and burning up the bands and clutches. Transmission fluids are a very complicated product. I hope there are some trans techs that can provide more info.
It was more of a retorical question to get him to try to disqualify my post & back up his claim. But FWIW here's the basis of my comment.
A few years ago I was called to testify in a lawsuite case as an expert witness & in addition to myself there was a technical rep from a major oil company & he explained in great detail that there is no way using the wrong type ATF in a transmission would, by itself, cause transmission failure. The ATFs all start out with very similar base stock & then friction modifiers are added to them to alter shift characteristics. Being very into transmissions at the time I asked him a lot of questions. He reminded me the ATF provides 2 things, 1st is the necessary hydraulic fluid to apply the clutch pistons & servos etc. & the 2nd was to cool the transmission components through it's lubrication. That's it, period. The clutches & bands grab their corresponding surfaces with their friction surfaces, the fluid acts as a barrier here & actually impedes the grabbing of clutches & bands. Now before everybody screams, we all know some slippage in a transmission is unavoidable as the clutches & bands apply, but the fluid is only to cool & reduce the wear as this happens. It does not cause the surfaces to grab. Once they are engaged they are held in place by the pistons pressure. This is why performance trans builders for years have been enlarging or adding holes to the drums to allow the fluid to escape from the clutch packs faster to provide a faster shift & make the clutches grab better.
The auto makers at some point felt it's necessary to remove any sensation of mechanical operation that the general public feels when driving a car, so they have been trying to eliminate the shift feeling. Also the recommended service intervals have gotten longer so the synthetic fluids make it easier to go longer periods without changes.
People, both pros & amatures, will often blame the ATF for problems after a fluid change when in reality the fluid was changed after neglect & lack of maintenance or to try to solve a problem that was indicative of a more serious underlying problem that revealed itself only after the ATF was changed. I'm not saying there are no benefits to using a synthetic ATF, but in more cases then not with older cars the benefits aren't that noticable.

It was more of a retorical question to get him to try to disqualify my post & back up his claim. But FWIW here's the basis of my comment.
A few years ago I was called to testify in a lawsuite case as an expert witness & in addition to myself there was a technical rep from a major oil company & he explained in great detail that there is no way using the wrong type ATF in a transmission would, by itself, cause transmission failure. The ATFs all start out with very similar base stock & then friction modifiers are added to them to alter shift characteristics. Being very into transmissions at the time I asked him a lot of questions. He reminded me the ATF provides 2 things, 1st is the necessary hydraulic fluid to apply the clutch pistons & servos etc. & the 2nd was to cool the transmission components through it's lubrication. That's it, period. The clutches & bands grab their corresponding surfaces with their friction surfaces, the fluid acts as a barrier here & actually impedes the grabbing of clutches & bands. Now before everybody screams, we all know some slippage in a transmission is unavoidable as the clutches & bands apply, but the fluid is only to cool & reduce the wear as this happens. It does not cause the surfaces to grab. Once they are engaged they are held in place by the pistons pressure. This is why performance trans builders for years have been enlarging or adding holes to the drums to allow the fluid to escape from the clutch packs faster to provide a faster shift & make the clutches grab better.
The auto makers at some point felt it's necessary to remove any sensation of mechanical operation that the general public feels when driving a car, so they have been trying to eliminate the shift feeling. Also the recommended service intervals have gotten longer so the synthetic fluids make it easier to go longer periods without changes.
People, both pros & amatures, will often blame the ATF for problems after a fluid change when in reality the fluid was changed after neglect & lack of maintenance or to try to solve a problem that was indicative of a more serious underlying problem that revealed itself only after the ATF was changed. I'm not saying there are no benefits to using a synthetic ATF, but in more cases then not with older cars the benefits aren't that noticable.
I'm not a tranny guy, but I gotta admit that was a pretty good class about fluids there Lone.

The testimony of the oil rep is too broad. Did his side win? Any fluid "might" work with most transmissions and not necessarily cause immediate or obvious failure, but it can't be good for it over the long term. It mainly depends on the formulation of the fluid and application of the trans. You said yourself that Type F feels different from Dextron, likely because there is less slippage in the same application. The newer the trans with more electronics, the more important that the correct fluid be used.

I agree that many trans failures after a fluid change are not the fluid's fault even if it's not the same/correct fluid. I've seen many people think that a change will eliminate slight slippage. But that actually means it's too late and the trans is already malfunctioning. New fluid can also act as a "cleaner" and loosen up any varnish, sludge, clutch material, etc. build-up inside, which can interfere with the trans functions.

I also realize that manufacturers try to sway people to use specific brands (like their own) making it sound like other brands may cause issues. But there are laws outlining that properly formulated fluids by other brands can be used without jeopordizing the warranty.

But bottom line is that there has to be a wider variety of transmission formulations for specific applications if one is to expect the proper performance. i.e.: Nobody will convince me that putting a Type F fluid in my 2004 Dodge dually diesel is ok!

Also, while synthetics may not be necessary in most applications, the harder a trans and converter is worked (race, towing, etc.), the better the synthetic fluid will hold up and help extend their lives over conventional fluids. Good insurance!

No claim - fact. No amount of tranny theory or fluid speculation changes that. If you believe you can get away with running ATF in any trans for any reason (despite the long-winded explanation(s)) you are serious misguided. Just ask the thousands of unhappy minivan owners who got Dexron in their Ultraglides back in the 90s.

I'm not a tranny guy, but I gotta admit that was a pretty good class about fluids there Lone.

Here's the real deal:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

The testimony of the oil rep is too broad. Did his side win? Any fluid "might" work with most transmissions and not necessarily cause immediate or obvious failure, but it can't be good for it over the long term. It mainly depends on the formulation of the fluid and application of the trans. You said yourself that Type F feels different from Dextron, likely because there is less slippage in the same application. The newer the trans with more electronics, the more important that the correct fluid be used.

I agree that many trans failures after a fluid change are not the fluid's fault even if it's not the same/correct fluid. I've seen many people think that a change will eliminate slight slippage. But that actually means it's too late and the trans is already malfunctioning. New fluid can also act as a "cleaner" and loosen up any varnish, sludge, clutch material, etc. build-up inside, which can interfere with the trans functions.

I also realize that manufacturers try to sway people to use specific brands (like their own) making it sound like other brands may cause issues. But there are laws outlining that properly formulated fluids by other brands can be used without jeopordizing the warranty.

But bottom line is that there has to be a wider variety of transmission formulations for specific applications if one is to expect the proper performance. i.e.: Nobody will convince me that putting a Type F fluid in my 2004 Dodge dually diesel is ok!

Also, while synthetics may not be necessary in most applications, the harder a trans and converter is worked (race, towing, etc.), the better the synthetic fluid will hold up and help extend their lives over conventional fluids. Good insurance!

Yes, the side we testified for won. He was also a member of the SAE & was under oath representing his company so I greatly doubt he would be unprepared or misinformed about the subject.
The type F fluid is the one fluid without friction modifiers added, so therefore less slippage & reduced temps. We all agree that heat & slippage is the enemy of an auto trans. So anything that promotes less slippage & therefore less heat would be promotiung longer life of the clutches & bands etc also improving shift firmness. Thats why we use it in performance applications.
Transmissions today have way more gears & components inside them but the trans cases haven't gotten much bigger repectively. 10lbs of Sh*t in a 5lb bag! All those moving parts cause more heat. Add to that the fact that they extended the intervals of service (to lower the advertised cost of ownership). The factories need to imprrove the cooling ability of the fluid used & make it last for a longer period of time. Enter the synthetics & higher amounts of friction modifiers added. Using the older type fluids may require more frequent changes, more along the line of what used to be the norm, but they wont cause damage.
As for the use of electronics controlling the transmissions, the electronics are simply electric solenoid controlled valves rather than the hydraullic controlled valves we all have in our old 727s & 904s. You just now have the computer calculating & operating the valves rather than being limited to a governor & mechanical linkage doing it. The electronics have no idea what fluid is being pumped through the trans & could care less. All they know is the PCM tells it when to turn on or off.
I totally agree in racing the benefits of synthetics are certainly a plus. The original poster here said they weren't racing the car just limited use & road trips. On a racing transmission you would be doing a tear down at least once a season & doing a thorough inspection & repairs as needed. So even then non synthetics shouldn't be a problem. Synthetic does have it value in less varnish & lower friction & rotational mass when stuck to spinning components.
It still just comes down to simple hydraulics & mechanical fundamentals.
There is a lot of misinformation out there about what to use & scare tactics about the new fluids. Right here on FABO there was a thread where a guy had changed the fluid & filter in his trans & had a problem with the car afterward & there were a bunch of guys telling him it was because it was the type of fluid he used & he wasted tons of time & a lot of money chasing the problem based on their bad advice thinking it was the fluid when in fact it was a mechanical problem where the filter wasn't sealed correctly. Ended up as a very minor fix, but guys had him thinking he fried the trans w/ the "wrong" fluid. Too many guys speaking from what they believe rather than what they know, especially when they don't know or haven't bothered to find out.
I'm just trying to set people straight. If you want firm shifts go with type F or the performance brands. If you want to use a good ATF that is what it came with use the Dexron III (since you can't buy Dex-II anymore). If you want softer shifts that take away some of the advantage from the shift kit you installed & like to spend more money use the type 4 fluids. But whatever you choose it won't hurt it. Even in a big diesel. :banghead:

-
Back